Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do with CDs?

What does one do with CDs that have been added to an iTunes collection?

24-inch iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 2:16 PM

10 replies

Aug 13, 2011 2:33 PM in response to Richard Reid1

I wasn't suggesting of iTunes losing them or a Hard-Drive fail. Having them stored on an external drive as a backup would be the solution in that case. It's comes down to what you want to do with them, I was merely making a suggestion.

Not sure how one would donate to a library, how and if they accept them. You could always ask if that's the route you want to go.

Aug 13, 2011 2:41 PM in response to vazandrew

I do not borrow any many CDs from libraries as others (some people all but refuse to buy what they can borrow for the price of tax dollard they have paid already).

But everytime I have looked, there gaps in the more popular music -- sometimes slim pickings, in short.

Any library would likey welcome the donations once it is shown they still play and are not illegally obtained.

And I may be overthinking that "illegal" part.

Aug 13, 2011 9:42 PM in response to Richard Reid1

I would only discard them once you've made at least a FLAC or ALAC copy of the disc, and backed those up sufficently. You've only compressed it when you've added it to iTunes as an MP3, so you'd be losing some data. Would the average person need an uncompressed copy? Probably not, but that's what you paid for originally, and what is still contained on them.

Aug 14, 2011 7:22 AM in response to Richard Reid1

Do they have greater value to oneself and others if donated to a public or college library?

Except for a few rare selections, used CDs are fairly inexpensive, since demand is dropping quickly. However, if you'd like to donate them, go ahead.

If you do decide to store the CDs, note that most of the bulk is in the plastic jewel cases. If you discard the cases, you can store 100's of CDs in relatively little space. However, do not do this for anything that may have collector value; those should be kept as intact as possible.

What to do with CDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.