Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I resize my Bootcamp partition with 10.7 Lion?

I recently upgraded to 10.7 Lion.

Is it possible to decrease the size of my Windows XP Bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro's disk?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 3:04 PM

Did you look at recent threads perhaps?

Yes, you can.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3257811?answerId=15922212022#15922212022&tstart=0#15922212

7 replies

Nov 27, 2011 2:52 PM in response to harryfear

If you want to increase or decrease the HD space on your Boot Camp partition of Windows, this is how you do it for Mac OS X Lion for free. Below is a an overview of the steps that need to be taken.

a. Clone (Copy) your Window's BOOTCAMP to an external Hard Drive (HD) or to your computer if you have enough space.

b. Delete the Window's partition on your computer.

c. Repartition your computer to have the new size that you want.

d. Restore your old Window's BOOTCAMP data.

In more detail, I walk through the steps here:

1. Download the free software Winclone from Roaring Apps Website (yes Winclone still works for Lion).

http://roaringapps.com/app:904

2.Now you are ready to copy your partition. Install and open Winclone. Under the Image tab, choose the Source BOOTCAMP in the drop down menu. Then click Image… Save your BOOTCAMP Clone to an external HD or your computer if you have enough space.

This will take some time so be patient (between 1-3hrs). You can see your progress percentage by pressing Command-L.

You should now see a .winclone file in your external HD that is about the same size as your BOOTCAMP HD. If you are confident that you didn't interrupt the copying process turned off your computer halfway through then you can move onto the next step.

3. To delete the partition on your computer open Disk Utility (you can search for it in Spotlight). Click the top HD on the left hand side, then click the Partition tab, and highlight the BOOTCAMP partition.

Click the minus sign and click ok.

4. Download the Free Trial of Paragon NTFS 9.5 (It is for 10 days, but you delete it after you are done)

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/download.html

This will allow you to create NTSF partitions. Before in Snow Leopard, you could get the Boot Camp Assistant app to do this for you. However in Lion the Boot Camp Assistant now does not let you partition your drive without having a Window's disk inserted. So that is why I found this workaround.

Install the Paragon application. Then go back to Disk Utility. This time click the plus button, and name your partition BOOTCAMP. Resize the partition to be the new size that you want it to be.

***IMPORTANT: Beside "Format:" choose the format NTSF. Then click apply. MS-DOS (FAT) might work too if you don't want to install Paragon but I have not tried this. I chose NTSF because that is what the first Bootcamp used.

5. After the partitioning is completed. Open back up Winclone, click the restore tab. Beside Restore Image: select the .winclone file that you backed up previously, and click restore. This should also take a while (between 1-3hrs). Then you are done!

Nov 27, 2011 3:05 PM in response to harryfear

CampTune 9.5 from Paragon is a sure fire easy method, $19 as long as you used or convert to NTFS.

Always want to have backups of both of course.

I guess I really missed that you want to resize.... boy, maybe I opened the wrong link?

You realize that this thread is/was OVER 90 DAYS now.

It is not that complicated, you don't need WinClone.

And no deletion of partitions.

May 11, 2014 3:12 PM in response to The hatter

I know this may be an old tutorial, but I've been wanting to resolve this issue for several months now and have put it off b/c I didn't want to put the time and effort in researching "the" way to do this the most effective and efficient way.

After clicking on the http://sandys101.in/?p=438 I was satisfied that CampTuneX would be my best option.

I rarely use MacOSx, and go directly into BootCamp on my MacBook Pro.

I've noticed that there was at least 125 GB free on the OSx partitian, so I set forth the desire to remove as much as possible, leaving only a residual amount of space on the MacOSx for admin purposes.

I've just purchased the $39 bundle which included three programs (Paragon Camptune X, Paragon HFS+ for Windows 10.0, and Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X 11) The other two programs allow me to access the partitians on either the Windows or Mac partitian at will to access that space whenever. The CampTune X is the actual -proposed solution- to the partitian management issue, so that will be the icing on the cake.

How can I resize my Bootcamp partition with 10.7 Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.