Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

At war with Lion Server

Hi,

First of all, I am no ICT man or codewarrior but I do use computers now for about 28 years (mostly mac), so I know a thing or two.

I purchased Lion Server with the intention of creating a home/smallbusiness server with (I believe) some basic functionality such as Addressbook and Calendar sharing. VPN and iChat are working fine, it's the sharing stuff I can't get to work.

After struggling with the setup, I had to reinstall several times, lost the original Snow Leopard to Lion upgrade due to the impossibility of reinstalling Lion when server is installed etc etc. I finally got the basics right and the server is running. All the network stuff is sorted out, I can reach the server securely from anywhere, account logins work fine etc.

There must be something wrong with my expectations or approach because sharing an Addressbook seems impossible to me.

Let's start with the thing that should be simple... A centralized Addressbook (list of 240 contacts that for now are only locally available) that can be read, searched and edited (add, remove, change) by (for now) 2 Users.

Ok, so I create 2 User accounts and a Workgroup. My logic tells me that I have to bind those 2 Users within a Workgroup to enable sharing. Is this true?

Anyway, in the very simple setup I don't even start the Open Directory service, I just start the Address Book service. My logic tells me that now when I create a CardDAV account in the Addressbook application on both client machines (of course with their own specific user login data) the server group (server accesspoint within the addressbook application) should point to the centralized Addressbook database on the server. So when I add an address, it appears immediately to the other client (user) and vice versa.

This is not happening, when I copy contacts to the server they are only visible to me and nobody else. Also when I do start Open Directory, anything I plunge onto the server is only viewable by me and not anybody else. I tried everything I can think of, that includes creating separate and group CardDAV accounts in the Profile manager, a share user for both clients to log into, a shared user binded with the 2 users within a group etc etc.

There is also something weird with shared calendars, although I do get this to work. I just can't believe it should be set up as I do. Maybe when somebody wants to explain me how to share an Addressbook between users I will understand the calendar share to.

Hope somebody can help (this drives me grazy).

Thanks!

Macbook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 3:33 PM

1 reply

Sep 18, 2011 12:46 AM in response to pepmachine

Hi,

Just saw your question. It is a little late but I am working on the address book right now and did not see it before. I am working on the set-up of Lion Server after using Snow Leopard Server for around two years. Same experiance and frustrations as you have including unanswered questions in this forum.

I had Snow Leopard Server working with all common functions including Wikis but excluding other Web pages and Mail. I am now working on the address book in Lion Server, setting it up from scratch.

The address book works with the account preferences in the application itself. There is a also a new icon in system preferences for it as well but I have not used it so far. In Snow Leopard I only used a group to give users the required access to the server address book functionality but in Lion this seams not necessary anymore. In Snow Leopard I had one user creating the addresses and groups which were picked up by all other users setting up accounts in preferences using the user-id and password of the first user. Each user could maintain all addresses. For each user also an account was created in preferences with their own user-id and password only visible for this user. In this way each user could access the shared and private contacts from any computer of i-device. This was all working fine as for iCal but I am not sure if this is the only and the best way of doing it.

I hope you have it working by now. If so did you find some good documentation to help you.

If it is still not working, can you tell what the problems are.

Regards

At war with Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.