Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Clips from Imported Movie

I imported my very first movie to imovie today - appears in lower half of the window. I want to use a section of it in another movie I am making. I found out how to select the clip but I cannot see a way to paste it into the top left section where I add photos or footage to make the movie. If I drag it into that section of the window, the entire video goes there. How do I do this?

iMovie '08, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 4:33 PM

Here are some tutorials from Apple, in case you haven't seen them.

Hugh

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/#intro

14 replies

Aug 14, 2011 2:24 PM in response to serenity99

The yellow highlight that appears when you click in the lower area (that's called the Events Browser) indicates what part of the video you want to drag into the upper part (the Project Browser). There's a yello rectangular 'handle' let's call it on each side of the part that has the yellow highlight. That handle can be pushed and pulled around to limit the amount of video that gets copied. But you do not cut and paste, no...Instead you drag the yellow highlight into the Project Browser window. And when you see a green highlighted area pop-up, let go of the mouse button, there. And the video will not be in the Project. It's a drag-drop style of working with the video.

Aug 15, 2011 1:09 PM in response to elikness

Well, the win comes when Serenity says the process now works.

I spent the longest time not using iMovie 06 because I couldn't get a couple of small questions resolved. One of them involved my being absolute convinced that a video editing system was not working if one had to wait 20 minutes. thought I was doing something wrong.

A few timely hints can really help.

Hugh

Aug 15, 2011 1:31 PM in response to hughmass

I've browsed profiles of some of the long time contributors. There's one fellow who has accumulated 150,000+ points. I also went through to figure out where the point accumulations break for each "level' in the experience point hierarchy. Level 2 =150 (which means you're nearly to level 2, just 10 more!), Level 3 (which is where I'm headed) is 500 points.

Level 4 =1,000

5=4,000

6=8,000

7=20,000

8=35,000 (? not sure of course, haven't found a close enough match to double-check)

9=40-45,000 (again not sure, couldn't find a close match)

10=80,000

So the top level person has bested the Level 10 experience points by a factor of nearly 2X. I'm speechless.

Aug 16, 2011 6:33 PM in response to hughmass

Thank you, all. I've go tthe drag and drop thing down pat now. What I notice, though, is that at the beginning and end of the part that I am dragging and dropping I can the previous clip at the beginning and also the next clip at the end. These extraneous clips also show up in the project window/browser but if I select the video clip "perfectly", although they show up, you don't see them when you play the clip back. Why are these overlaps there?

Aug 16, 2011 7:17 PM in response to serenity99

I think I'm getting closer to understanding what you mean. You might be talking about the video clip thumbnail pictures.

Those little 'thumbnail' images in the part you are dragging don't usually play back in the Preview window. They are just there as a quick way to figure out what's in that particular clip, without having to play it back. In the old days with iMovie 6 HD, you got one big thumbnail at the front and had to guess at what else was in the clip. From iMovie 08/09/11 Apple attempted to address that but generating tons, and tons of thumbnails so you could see right on the clip itself what was inside. And the thumbnails are completely seperated from the actual video that will play and be exported in the final project. So you can ignore them, the are just annoying and won't hurt anything.

Aug 16, 2011 8:26 PM in response to serenity99

User uploaded fileYes, the control I think you are describing is the Fine Tuning and you can turn that on by going to iMovie Menu>Preferences>Browser>Check Show Fine Tuning controls. That will give you the orange handles every time you click on the edge of a Clip in the Project browser. It shaves a few frames off of the end if you get one of those touchy, hard to slice out orphan video frames that you are describing. You can also turn if off again once you're done ferreting out those straggling orphan frames you don't want in your clips.

Using Clips from Imported Movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.