Previous 1 2 Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2011 3:27 PM by Tony T1
Ziatron Level 4 Level 4
expertise.desktops
Desktops

I was shocked to discover that the DVD drive has been discontinued from the Mac mini.

We have been using these computers in A/V applications and the DVD drive is an absolute requirement.

Can I add an external DVD drive?

I want to pursue a used Mac mini.  How can I determine what is the most recent model made that has a DVD drive?

Try a Windows alternative?

Reply by Eric Ross on Aug 13, 2011 7:48 PM Helpful
Yes, that's the model. 
Reply by gliron on Aug 14, 2011 3:18 PM Helpful
I disagree. Floppies were practically useless after 1994. I certainly didn't miss them. You're comparing a slow 1.44MB against 5GB. I've had Zip 100 & Zip 250 drives.The built-in super-drive was SUPER! It replaced them all. I refuse to add anymore clutter to my desk. When Apple removes the optical drive from MacBook series, that's it. My apple experience has been more good than bad, but, they are hundreds of PC vendors with a range of hardware options to choose from.Why buy incomplete hardware?

All replies

• Eric Ross Level 6 Level 6

You can buy the external Apple DVD drive with the mini.

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Can I add an external DVD drive?

Yes

I want to pursue a used Mac mini.  How can I determine what is the most recent model made that has a DVD drive?

If a mini has the all-aluminum case and a DVD drive, then it's the most recent with a DVD drive.  Check the refurb units in the Apple Store

Try a Windows alternative?

Sure, if you want.

• Ziatron Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Customers are so upset about the removal of the DVD drive they are pushing for Windows.  I believe I can overcome this by purchasing several Mac minis with DVD drives.

My searching on the web leads me to believe that the MC270LL/A  is the last one made with an optical drive. But I have not found any reliable source to confirm this.

Purchasing the current Mac mini without an optical drive is out of the question.  This would reward decision-makers for a bad decision.

Are you saying that if we find a Mac mini with an all-aluminum case, and a DVD drive, that it MUST be the last one made with an optical drive?

The current version of the Mac Mini comes with out the DVD drive, you still may be able to find a new Mac Mini mid 2010 if you check around.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3476

expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    you still may be able to find a new Mac Mini mid 2010 if you check around.

Is the "mid 2010" also a MC270LL/A?

I have been checking around.  The mid 2010 costs MORE  than the current model.   So I'm not the only one needing a DVD drive.

Yes, that's the model. 

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Check the mini refurb units, but they go fast (none avail when I checked)

Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 12.02.03 AM.png

Also, the older model (with the DVD) has a Core 2 Duo, the new models a Corei5

• woodmeister50 Level 5 Level 5
    expertise.serversenterprise
    Servers Enterprise

Any USB DVD or Bluray drive will work with a Mini.

Add a Bluray drive and have the best of both worlds.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

You can't add an internal DVD to a new Mac mini. 

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

I have purchased the (superior) previous model MC270LL/A it includes an 8X optical SuperDrive built-in.

I use the optical drive almost daily, and the idea of having to plug an external one in defeats the object of the Mac Mini being small and neat!

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Ziatron wrote:

I have purchased the (superior) previous model MC270LL/A it includes an 8X optical SuperDrive built-in.

I use the optical drive almost daily, and the idea of having to plug an external one in defeats the object of the Mac Mini being small and neat!

The new mini's have the much better Corei5 processor.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    The new mini's have the much better Corei5 processor.

I know, but the lack of an optical drive is a deal breaker.

A friend bought a new Mini 2.5 GHz i5 at the local Apple Store, and decided to buy an external SuperDrive along with it. They told him that the SuperDrive was substantially back-ordered, due to so many customers buying one with their Mini.  That should say something about whether or not Mini customers think it should have come with an optical drive.

• mosso Level 1 Level 1

The 2011 Mini's are $100 cheaper than last years. Use the difference in price to buy an external Superdrive.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

That should say something about whether or not Mini customers think it should have come with an optical drive.

There was a time when there was an uproar when Apple decided to not include a drive for 3½ floppies

Previous 1 2 Next