Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi: No hardware installed

Since I've installed Lion on my MacBook Pro, I've had one problem after another. The latest problem is this: I can't turn on Airport. When I click on the Airport icon on the top right of the menu-bar, it reads: "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed."

Has anybody else had this problem?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 7:34 PM

56 replies

Aug 16, 2011 6:46 PM in response to etresoft

In frustration with the "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed" issue, I brought my MBP to an Apple Genius Bar. The Apple Genius ran a few tests and concluded that the problem was the Airport card on my MBP. I'm skeptical but hopeful. My MBP was supposed to be ready two days ago for pick-up. It wasn't. I suspect changing the Airport card hasn't resolved the problem and they're still working on it. I don't think this is just a problem of a broken computer. I suspect it's connected with the new OS.

Aug 17, 2011 1:00 PM in response to Sevag Pogharian

I had the same issue happen twice, once with 10.7 and once with 10.7.1. Each time it went away after restarting. I have a 2010 iMac with the I7 processor.

I noticed that when starting up, the blank screen showed a progress bar which does not ordinarily appear. The screen also flickered a couple of time in different phases of startup. This was followed by the No Wifi hardware message. As I mentioned, I immediately restarted and got different results.

Aug 21, 2011 7:13 PM in response to Sevag Pogharian

Same issues as being described here, but don't think computer is broken as suggested above. I have MacBook - end of 2008. Wifi was working fine for a couple of weeks with Lion, then started to get the same error messages about no hardware being installed. When I reboot when I am connected to my Cinema Display monitor the computer boots up and wifi is fine with no problems. This happens with 100% re-occurence - no external display - no wifi message. Connect to display and no wifi problems.

Wi-Fi: No hardware installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.