Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Computer Name Keeps Changing

I system preferences sharing where you go to set your computer name I am noticing that mine says "Rob's iMac (3)" instead of "Rob's iMac". My network hasn't changed, haven't added or removed anything. I am using an airport extreme. One thing I remember is that every once in awhile I will get an odd prompt trying to connect to the wi fi related to this but I can't remember. But the annoying thing right now is that the OS will not allow me to go back and take that "(3)" off. Does it have anything to do with VMware and Windows 7 running on my system? It almost seems like the airport extreme thinks there are now three iMacs on the network......... thx in advance....

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 10:56 PM

10 replies

Jul 15, 2012 6:25 AM in response to robertd

I have exactly the same problem. There is one Mac on my network, WiFi is off on the Mac, the other machines are Windows 7 computers. The renames are completely random, sometimes even after waking from sleep. It's Lion that doesn't keep track and it's annoying the **** out of me.

My trusty Snow Leopard white iMac blew itself up (literally) two weeks ago so I was forced onto Lion. It's the worst OS X I've ever used - never had to google so often for workarounds and fixes (scrolling direction, hidden user Library, problems with Mail, keyboard mapping, the list goes on and on...)

If Mountain Lion fixes the renaming issue it might be worth the upgrade.

My Computer Name Keeps Changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.