Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can mail preview pane be moved to right

I can minimise the preview pane but it seems I can only have the preview pane under the email list/view.

why cant things be simple ;( that is why I bought a mac?!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 3:51 AM

If you are actually using Mac OS X 10.7, as your profile indicates, that is the default appearance of Mail. The message pane IS on the right side, unless you have gone into Mail -> Preferences -> Viewing and checked the "Use classic layout" box.

9 replies

Aug 14, 2011 5:06 AM in response to thomas_r.

thank you for that.

Letterbox indeed does not seem to be updated for Lion http://roaringapps.com/app:4049;

The developer has also stated that he does not intend to update for Lion, the reason being is that Lion now provides a 'wide screen view' - the nuance here is that ONLY if you use the new view and not the classic view.

I think Apple should allow a right side preview pane with classic view. A piece of development like this would allow Mail to become a serious piece of productivity software (and thus crack the business domain) rather than Apple's being regarded as 'fluffy' for media and design types only.

I will end it there! But thank you for all your help, good responses and much appreciated.

Apr 23, 2012 8:00 AM in response to bazporte

bazporte, you have my absolute, unqualified, 100% agreement.

I decided when I got this new mac to convert myself to the new and improved Lion mail experience. After 6 months I am switching back to Classic view because I missed too many import messages in Apple's cute attempt to group and associate related messages and collapse information under "see more". That's how I stumbled onto this thread. My decision to embrace the new mail style is consistent with my train of decisions to switch to apple after using PCs between 1983 and 2009. Because I live in both worlds today (I develop business software on MS platforms using VMWare on my MacBook Pro 17'') I can't help but compare technologies side-by-side. It's in my face day in and day out. Classic view allows me to readily receive and review and search for important messages. Because I have a wide screen....remind me again why no reading pane on the right?

Oct 23, 2012 1:07 PM in response to clairdemoon

Hi

I am in New Zealand and have read with interest your statement re preview pane etc. (on my mac OSX 10.6.8

I have just installed the latest software update and suddenly I have lost the abilty to have my preview pane on the RHS and also my emails now come in with no line separations as before also. I liked the blue/white lines to show each message on the summary page but now just a white page with messages shown.

I have tried installing the latest letterbox fix but no joy. I also have no classic box to check under Mail -> Preferences -> Viewing . I thought this might be there and helpful but nothing here.

Also preview pane not showing under view in mail. Can you help.

was happy before with the appearance but not now.

Regards

Nov 6, 2012 1:47 AM in response to clairdemoon

Hi clairdemoon, bazorte,

I'm scratching my head a little here - if the issue in favour of using the Classic Layout is just to avoid 'Conversation' organisation (i.e. the grouping of emails as clairdemoon describes), then the simple answer is the stick with the new view and the RHS preview pane, but with 'Organize by Conversation' switched off, which is accessed from the VIEW drop down menu in Mail.

Hopefully this helps?

If not, I'd be really interested to learn what other benefits the 'classic' view allows for (or, perhaps better, used to allow for?

Prior to Lion I too was a big fan of Letterbox, but I'm now finding the new views are just fine for me.

Nov 6, 2012 2:23 AM in response to sandlines

Hello sandlines

To clarify - the issue is not just having a RHS view. It is having RHS view WITH email columns on the left

i.e.: (bad graphics 😉)

________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

From To Subject Flag | Email Preview here

Jim Steve, Jo RHS view Today |

Bobbo Steve, Jo Trip Tomrw Red |

Tim Bobbo, Jo Why?! Green |

Steve Mike. Jo Apple for Business?! Blue |

This is not a complicated requirement but immensely useful and makes Mail usable. At the moment, I dont bother using it. I use it in a business environment where I get 100+ emails per day

can mail preview pane be moved to right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.