Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make Pages the "default" app for opening Word documents?

Just installed Lion. Used MS Office previously. Now want to use iWork. How do I make Pages (Numbers, etc.) the "default" app for opening my Word (Excel, etc.) documents?

TIA

Picman

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 12:09 PM

Select a document in the Finder, choose Get Info from the File menu, and change the Open With setting.

(60045)

5 replies

Sep 5, 2013 1:47 PM in response to picman0121

Niel,

You seem to have a handle on this, so I am going to piggyback here with a related problem. I am on Snow Leopard, I have Pages '09 and Word 2003, and Pages '09 is listed as default for .pages documents, however, documents that I make in Pages won't open in Pages when double-clicked; they try to open in Word (obviously unsuccessfully).

When I try to change the default program to Pages (even though it already says it is the default with the word "default" in parentheses), I am only able to change them one at a time. If I try to use the "Change all" function, it gives me the "are you sure?" menu, but when I continue the dropdown box automatically reverts back to Microsoft Word.

Strangely, when I do the same for a .doc document and ask that they all open in Pages, it works just fine.

Any ideas here? I would really like to start working exclusively in Pages and export into Word when needed, but it is a hassle to try to remember to use the "Open With" function all the time.

How do I make Pages the "default" app for opening Word documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.