Skip navigation

How to open all subfolders within a folder

5748 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 5:33 PM by braindr23 RSS
Tom Lockwood Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 14, 2011 12:32 PM

I have a rather large folder of photos with many subfolders and further subfolders. At least a couple hundred folders.

I would like to open them all so I can compare by name looking for duplicates and for size so I can delete the very small ones.

Can someone tell me how to open them all?

Thanks

aluminum imac, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • CT Level 6 Level 6 (15,035 points)
    Aug 14, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to Tom Lockwood)

Try this and see if it is what you are looking for.

In list view, option click on a folder triangle - the folder and all its subfolders should open.

charlie

• etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (23,930 points)
    Aug 14, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to Tom Lockwood)

Tom Lockwood wrote:

Tried it and it didn't work.

It works here - and I never knew you could do that. Make sure you are in list view. You can only option-click the disclosure triangle that is to the left of the folder name. In browser view, the triangle is to the right and option-clicking does nothing.

• braindr23 Calculating status...
    Sep 7, 2012 5:33 PM (in response to etresoft)

This is great! In the off chance anyone else is trying to do this, this is also useful if you have Papers and you want to switch to Mendeley. Papers keeps PDFs all organized by year and then author so the PDFs are all nested in subfolders. If you option-click the triangle next to the Papers folder, it will then show all the PDFs. Select All and then drag over the whole thing into Mendeley. I just imported my entire collection in under a minute. Glad I looked this up!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.