7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2016 7:31 AM by Incite
Tom Lockwood Level 1 (90 points)

I have a rather large folder of photos with many subfolders and further subfolders. At least a couple hundred folders.

I would like to open them all so I can compare by name looking for duplicates and for size so I can delete the very small ones.

Can someone tell me how to open them all?

Thanks

aluminum imac, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • CT Level 6 (17,545 points)

Try this and see if it is what you are looking for.

In list view, option click on a folder triangle - the folder and all its subfolders should open.

charlie

• Tom Lockwood Level 1 (90 points)

Tried it and it didn't work.

Also tried control click, no luck.

On the phone with Apple, first guy said it can't be done although I'm still thinking it can be.

That's for the attempt though.

• etresoft Level 7 (27,828 points)

Tom Lockwood wrote:

Tried it and it didn't work.

It works here - and I never knew you could do that. Make sure you are in list view. You can only option-click the disclosure triangle that is to the left of the folder name. In browser view, the triangle is to the right and option-clicking does nothing.

• Tom Lockwood Level 1 (90 points)

You were absolutely right!

The key is you have to be in "list view", I was in cover flow before.

Two Apple techs including a senior tech didn't know how to.

Now the senior tech knows.

Thanks again

• braindr23 Level 1 (0 points)

This is great! In the off chance anyone else is trying to do this, this is also useful if you have Papers and you want to switch to Mendeley. Papers keeps PDFs all organized by year and then author so the PDFs are all nested in subfolders. If you option-click the triangle next to the Papers folder, it will then show all the PDFs. Select All and then drag over the whole thing into Mendeley. I just imported my entire collection in under a minute. Glad I looked this up!

• RussLovesLinzi923 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey there people,

I know that you all had some ideas about how to make this work. I think I figured it out.

Start with the main folder in List mode.

Select all of the folders.

Press the RIGHT ARROW button.

Vola!! You now have all of the sub folders open.

Have an amazing holiday! I hope that this helps you if you are having concerns figuring this out!

• Incite Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, this worked for me too. Select all folders you want, then just hit the right arrow on keyboard. Good find!