Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

computer not going to sleep when lid closed

My wife's new MacBook Air has a couple of problems we can't figure out. First sometimes the computer is not going to sleep when lid is closed and when we lift the lid everything is frozen.

Second, the user Library folder is not seeable in her user account. I know it's there because on the side bar there's a short cut to Preferences folder which we can open.

Strange behavior.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 4:06 PM

2 replies

Aug 14, 2011 7:17 PM in response to Ronniebel

Ron,

The user library folder (~/Library/) is hidden by default in Lion. I assume Apple doesn't want people mucking around with the sensitive files in there. So this is normal behavior.

As for the freezing issue, I would suggest you reset your power management and perform a safe boot to clear out caches. You should also see if the issue persists after disconnecting USB perhipherals.

Here's how:

Power Management:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Safe Boot:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Aug 14, 2011 7:35 PM in response to Ronniebel

Ronniebel wrote:

Second, the user Library folder is not seeable in her user account. I know it's there because on the side bar there's a short cut to Preferences folder which we can open.

Several folders that were previously visible are hidden by default in Lion. It is a simple process to return visability. For example, to make the user LIbrary visible open a terminal window (Launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad->Utilities) and type in:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

To return the folder to it's hidden state type:

chflags hidden ~/Library/

computer not going to sleep when lid closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.