Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I delete an infected file from backup folders

ran Sophos anti-virus recently and it told me I have a malicious trojan on my Mac, Mal/PDFEx-H (which supposedly only affects windows, but it turned up anyway.) Sophos couldn't remove it automatically, so I was instructed to do a manual removal; however, every time I try to delete the file from the backup folders in which it is located, I get a message that "backup files can't be altered."

so, my question is: how do I get rid of some malicious trojan (even though it's only for windows) from my backup folders? Btw, the backup folders in which it is located are all over 2 years old...don't know if that makes any difference, like maybe the entire folders could be deleted without any adverse effects?

thanks for any advice.

Aluminum iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1 GB

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 3:49 PM

Ignore it, it can't run on OSX let alone in backup folders. If you ever need to restore delete it then.

12 replies

Aug 17, 2011 12:19 PM in response to E. Kennedy

E. Kennedy wrote:

thanks for the help!

just wondering why you said that about Sophos? it's a download from Apple's web site and it did catch this, even though it couldn't remove it...

thanks, again!

I think that Linc means (and I concur) you don't need it to protect your Mac and it wastes resources, if it makes you feel better because it alerts you to windows viruses then remove it and install ClamAX or AV or whetever it's called.

But you don't need AV software.

Aug 17, 2011 1:35 PM in response to E. Kennedy

The fact that Apple listed Sophos on its site doesn't imply that it's a good product. All commercial "anti-virus" products for the Mac (included the free version of Sophos) are worse than useless. All they can do is cause problems. The Mac OS has built-in detection of known Mac malware in downloaded files, for the little good that does. If you need to detect Windows malware, use ClamXav -- nothing else.

Aug 18, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

so, Linc & CSound1, theres NO WAY windows virus/trojan/malware can do any harm to my Mac if I'm just running MacOS? and there aren't any Mac viruses/trojans/malware that can get through the built-in protection you mentioned? if that's the case, then maybe I'll take your advice...gotta do a little more thinking on it first, though, just to assure my paranoid self 🙂 lol

thanks for the help & advice 🙂

Aug 18, 2011 7:13 PM in response to E. Kennedy

... there aren't any Mac viruses/trojans/malware that can get through the built-in protection you mentioned?

There might be. At some point, there certainly will be, because the malware attackers are always one day ahead of the defenders. There will be malware that no commercial product can detect either. That's why you can't rely on anti-virus software to protect you. You have to follow sound security practices, such as not installing software from a source you can't trust.

Aug 19, 2011 4:39 PM in response to babowa

thanks for the link...read it & bookmarked it! 🙂

and thanks, Linc & Csound1, too...I never download or run apps from sources that I don't know, and don't use P2P file sharing, either, so it's a little confusing where this thing came from, and disguised as a .pdf file no less that I don't specifically remember downloading...

thanks, again, to everyone for the help & advice 🙂

how can I delete an infected file from backup folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.