Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Previews look poor on Apple TV

Apparently Apple TV displays the Aperture previews and not the actual Master or Version. Is this true?

I notice that when I direct Apple TV (the original) to store an Aperture Libuary, it is much smaller than when I direct Apple TV to store the actual Master Photos. At first this sounded good but then I realized the poor resolution of the Aperture previews vs. the actual photos. On a 72" HD TV the difference is very noticable.

The problem: when I point Apple TV to the actual photos on the Mac only the Master is displayed. All changes (edits) to the photo are not displayed. If I point Apple TV to Aperture it displays the poor resolution previews of the last version (with the edits I want).

Is there any soultion to this situation of poor resolution with edits to great resolution without any edits?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 5:57 PM

What do you have your Aperture->Preferences->Previews settings set to?

The Photo Preview and Photo Preview quality settings will both affect how the images look on your TV

Remember if you make any changes to these settings they will only affect new previews changing these settings will changes the current previews. To have the current previews use the new settings you will have to re-generate the current previews.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2011 5:57 PM in response to 4GrassValley

What do you have your Aperture->Preferences->Previews settings set to?

The Photo Preview and Photo Preview quality settings will both affect how the images look on your TV

Remember if you make any changes to these settings they will only affect new previews changing these settings will changes the current previews. To have the current previews use the new settings you will have to re-generate the current previews.

Aug 15, 2011 6:52 AM in response to 4GrassValley

I would set Don't Limit and then play around with the quality slider.

Remember for the new settings to take effect you need to recreate the previews. Also the new previews are going to take up more disk space so keep that in mind. Depending on your availiable disk space you may just want to use the higher quality settings on images you intend to display on your TV,

Feb 6, 2012 5:31 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

If you choose Don't Limit I'm assuming that means the Preview size will be the same as the image?

If Apple TV is only 1280 x 720, then why not set it for something slightly larger? To allow pan and zoom. Or just setting it to 2560 x 2560, maximum for a 23" LED display and large enough to handle pan and zoom in 1920 x 1080, should ATV at some point come out with full 1080.

Keeping it at Don't Limit (if I understand the feature) could create some pretty big images, if you are using a more recent camera that has fairly high pixel count. 10 MP cameras are about 2x the resolution of 1080 HD.

Also, I think you can drop the quality a fair amount and not notice any degredation, at least on ATV. Doesn't the jpeg compression start to degrad most noticably with dark images, or fine gradients? You could probably get away with a Quality setting of 7 or 8 and be happy. Of course, you'd have to test this out with your own images, ones that would show the most issues when lowering the Quality setting.

Feb 6, 2012 5:50 AM in response to ajr500

To keep the Aperture library size down, change the preview size of just the images you want to display on the AppleTV.

Change your preview settings to Don't Limit, select all the images you want to display on the AppleTV, go to Photos>Update Previews and hold down Option so it changes to "Generate Previews". Click on this and the selected previews will update using the "Don't Limit" preference.

Once this is completed go back to preferences and change your preview size setting back to whatever you originaly had it at.

There are lots of ways you can select just the images you want to upgrade, you could perhaps use colour labels, you could regenerate the previews for all 5 star images.

Previews look poor on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.