Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 & Lion & Flash = Scrolling Lockup

First of all, yes I am using the latest version Flash plugin. I know this because I reinstalled it and checked the version in-browser. Second, I do not have this problem in Chrome or Firefox -- it only affects Safari 5.1. Third, I am running OS X Lion. Fourth, I did not have this problem when I ran a pre-5.1 version of Safari under OS X Snow Leopard.

When using Safari 5.1 and the latest version Flash plugin (or even older versions of the plugin) under Lion, vertical scrolling via Apple's magic mouse on web pages partly locks-up/freezes after I display a web page with Flash content. When I encounter such a page, for example one with flash video, I suddenly cannot scroll up or down by using finger flick gestures on my Apple mouse. And after using gestures to scroll up or down (which won't visually scroll at all on pages with Flash) if I then resize the browser window, suddenly the place that I scrolled to (and couldn't originally see) now appears. It's almost like there is a browser window refresh problem happening. I have to quit Safari 5.1 and relaunch it to get vertical scrolling working again. And scrolling works perfectly so long as I don't encounter another Flash object. But if I encounter a Flash object, the same browser window "refresh lockup" occurs again and prevents me from scrolling via gestures on my Magic Mouse. I am using Click-to-Flash to allow me to continue using Safari, but every now and then I forget that this problem will occur and I click to view a Flash video and it locks up again.

It's a very serious problem that did not happen in Safari 5.0 under OS X Snow Leopard.

I certainly cannot be the first person who has encountered this, so I am posting here in hopes of hearing the experiences of others, with the ultimate aim of finding a permanent solution.

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

Nov. 2009 iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:50 PM

I certainly cannot be the first person who has encountered this, so I am posting here in hopes of hearing the experiences of others, with the ultimate aim of finding a permanent solution.

Check out this thread > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3241009?answerId=15900621022#15900621022

Hopefully the Flash beta will help you as well.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2011 6:50 PM in response to JDW1

Check out this thread > https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3241009?answerId=15900621022#15900621022

Hopefully the Flash beta will help you as well.

Aug 14, 2011 10:43 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, on a previous thread, dealing with odd cursor movements, etc.,you advised him to make sure he had Safari open in 32bits & not 64. Two questions, if this is tue, then how are we supposed to know this? And if this is so, why isn't it the default setting when installing Sarfari 5.1 on to Snow Leopard????? I am very upset Apple has caused so much grief & frustrating wasted time & energy with this buggy mess!

Safari 5.1 & Lion & Flash = Scrolling Lockup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.