Skip navigation

Disk space vanishing, other strange behavior

305 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 3:11 PM by G. Ewald RSS
G. Ewald Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 14, 2011 7:35 PM

In the last two days TechTool has been announcing that my free disk space is getting low. Started at 15%, but it keeps dropping down to 1%. I've deleted about 100GB of data in the last two days, but it isn't helping.

Checked my log files which aren't ridculously big. None of my processes are using a fraction of the 160GB+ it shows as being allocated to VM. Some strange log entries in console related to MacHelper, but I don't think I ever installed it. Ran an uninstaller just in case.

Prior to this happening some other odd things have been happening for a week or so:

• External drives aren't dismounting correctly. Click eject and the name remains grayed out and if I unplug the drive I get chided for removing a drive.
  • System hangs and requires forced restart. Hangs during restart on the desktop image.
  • Had some trouble with an external e-sata drive dismounting all the time using the card slot adaptor for e-Sata. Card would get extremely hot. Used FW800 but had strange behavior with 5 additional drives reminiscent of SCSI. Once I changed the cables around it stopped doing this.
    • Eric Ross Level 6 Level 6 (11,650 points)
      Aug 14, 2011 11:28 PM (in response to G. Ewald)

Try repairing your hard drive with disk utility, also repair your permissions. 

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,765 points)
      Aug 15, 2011 12:30 AM (in response to G. Ewald)

Open Console in Applications>Utilities, see if you're getting constant messages & huge log files as a result.

• WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (11,880 points)
      Aug 15, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to G. Ewald)

You may not have gotten all of MacKeeper. From an earlier post of mine:

I'd search for it using EasyFind. Enter "MacKeeper" and "Zeobit." Set EF to scan all files and folders, invisible, case insensitive, package contents. Search using boolean and phrase. It will probably do a more thorough job than Spotlight. If you can't "Destroy" from EF, use Reveal in Finder to trash and authenticate from there.

It is also known to install a Windows emulator called "wine;" search for that.

Also, look in the Keychain for anything MacKeeper or zeobit related, and for its cookies in your browser. When finished, empty the Trash and restart.

http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html

Somehow, as BDAqua suggested, I'm still suspecting it's the logs filling up with a constantly repeating message. Are there any other Users? Can you log in to those and see what's going on with those logs?

Permissons repair has nothing to do with this.

Get OmniDisk Sweeper. Run it logged in to all your users.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,810 points)
      Aug 15, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to G. Ewald)

In the other thread you started on this same subject and now seem to have abandoned, I suggested you boot in safe mode. Did you do that?

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,810 points)
      Aug 15, 2011 12:57 PM (in response to G. Ewald)

If you can't log in in safe mode, but you can in unsafe mode, then you have major system corruption and should reinstall and then run Software Update. Then boot in safe mode and see whether you can reproduce the issue.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
    • This helped me - 5 points
    This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.