Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which effects plugs best for instrument ch strips, which for output?

As I'm reading through the manuals (yes, I actually am...) I regularly see the comment that such and such an effects plug is best for using on ouput or mastering channel strips, or that another is best for instrument channel strips, etc, that some shouldn't really be used in one or another, etc. For instance, some introduce latency that would be ok on a pre-recorded signal, but not in a performance or recording situation. Some Logic plugs are actually excluded from MainStage for this reason, meaning I wouldn't want to used them in Logic in certain circumstances. Others are deemed best for output or mastering channel strips, and not good for instrument channel strips. The info is buried, and it's important enough that it would be nice if it were all distilled in one place.

To help make sure that I (and others, no doubt) aren't accidentally instantiating the wrong plug in the wrong, place, it would be really helpful to see a list of which kind of channel strip each plug-in is designed for, "in general"**, and which ones are best used in output channel strips, which are best used in instrument channel strips, which are find for both, and which shouldn't be used in certain instances, etc.

Anybody know of a chart of list like this? Anybody know or want to share experience or knowledge on it? Thanks in advance.

(** "in general" meaning I acknowledge there are always exceptions, and ways to experiment, but for the purposes of this discussion I'm focusing on getting the big picture, basic overview with respect to best channel strip uses.)

Thanks,

Neil

MacBookPro 3.06gHz 4GB ram, iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Prymary.com,myspace:AlteredDominant

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 10:36 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2011 7:35 AM in response to NMcQ

Having used Logic for many years the only one I find I have to be really careful of is AdLimiter due to the delay it introduces... I do try not to use it at all now as I often forget I have it on the master channel when I record another part and because I typically monitor through my mixer and not through Logic, I end up with a recording that is out of time and needs to be shifted. I tend to use other companies Limiters which seem more musical and less 'delay' prone.

Not really answering your question, but I cant rememver any other plugin in Logic that introduces this sort of delay.

Cheers

Ian

ps. I do belive I also read the manual many years ago - that makes two of us.

Which effects plugs best for instrument ch strips, which for output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.