Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone will not recognize 1 contact's name

I use an iPhone 4 but this problem has been persisting since my iPhone 3GS on iOS 3.1

I sync my contacts with google contacts via exchange activesync.

All of my contact names display normally when they call me, message me or if I look at them on the missed calls list EXCEPT for one number which is frustratingly my fiancee's number. Her name will display when she calls me most of the time but not always, but on SMS and the missed calls list, it displays her phone number instead of her name.

I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this problem including removing her contact information from all devices and my google contacts list online, restarting all devices, then receiving a call from her and adding her as a new contact directly on the phone. Usually this fixes the "calling" screen for a while but not the SMS and missed calls list, then it becomes intermittant on the calling screen again after time.

I referenced this problem in a discussion in which a user's phone wouldn't display any names at all to no avail, so now I am starting this as its own issue.

Thank you for your help Apple! ;-)

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 11:21 PM

2 replies

Aug 15, 2011 5:42 PM in response to spencereholtaway

Update - I did a full restore as a new iPhone and did not restore it from back up. The names are now showing up as expected / intended by Apple.

I have not tried restoring from backup (it was a good way to ruthlessly clear the apps I didn't use off of my home screen!) but if anyone does try this method (restore as new iPhone then restore from backup) it would be appreciated if you could post your results below.

I have read that the issue could be due to a corrupted entry for the number/name that can only be fixed by jailbreaking and editing the file yourself, so I assume restoring from backup would bring the problem back.

Aug 27, 2011 11:27 PM in response to spencereholtaway

Hi

My partners phone has the same problem. It has happened since we both got the iphone years ago. I have done all the things that you have (except factory reset - dont want to loose the sms's). I agree that adding the contact again from an sms after deleting it does help for little time, but does effect the history or SMS.

Has anyone else found a solution for this yet?

spencereholtaway, you mention editing the file yourself? would you be able to do this without the jailbreaking?

iPhone will not recognize 1 contact's name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.