Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very basic question: How to make a circle appear?

New to Motion5, read lot's of tutorials, but this very simple task is beyond my skills:

I like to appear a circle, as 'drawn':

User uploaded file

saw tutorials how to make handwritten typo, so I guess, it has to do with masks (?)

and digged thru 'behaviors' - no luck.

do I think too complicated?

... thanks in advance!

k.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:00 AM

That should bE> the same way that you do "flourishes", which is discussed in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/170/858730#858731

You need to apply an "image mask" (by right-clicking) to your red circle.

The source for this img mask should be a your paint-stroke, with write-on behaviour checked.

cheers;

e.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2011 1:00 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

That should bE> the same way that you do "flourishes", which is discussed in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/170/858730#858731

You need to apply an "image mask" (by right-clicking) to your red circle.

The source for this img mask should be a your paint-stroke, with write-on behaviour checked.

cheers;

e.

Aug 15, 2011 2:08 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hope you'll be able to work as intended.

I'm a motion noob myself, and find these forums a tremendous resource.

Here's a project I did before the weeked, where I got really god advice form another member:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3257728?answerId=15925938022#15925938022

A cool effect and a project that provides a lot of learning, if you're interested.

Cheers;

::e

Aug 16, 2011 2:08 AM in response to edvinpedvin

Hey,

must admit I tried to do this in Motion 5, and could not make it work.

Being quite sure it should work the way I did it, I decided to try it in Motion 4 as well.

I found out that it works in Motion 4, but not in Motion 5.

I did a screen-grab in both versions 4 and 5, but can't upload video here (greyed-out option),

so I attached stills from both version at frame 10 of the project.

Project was created in Motion 4; nothing is changed when opening in Motion 5.

So I'd like to find what could be at work here; why doesn this not work in Motion 5?

BR;

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2011 2:26 AM in response to edvinpedvin

I LOVE it, how things envolve here at the boards: you solved my problem, now I have to explain, how it worked 😉

look:

User uploaded file

when you use the built-in 'paint' features, in this example the circle, no mask needed. just add the write-on behavior. works with bezier-tool too (to create the blue bar in final animation:

User uploaded file

btw: why do you use an un-paid 3rd party tool to publish simple screen-shots? MacOS comes with all you need;

cmd-shift-3 (whole screen)

cmd-shift-4 (hair-cross/selection)

cmd-shift-4 and space-bar ('Cam'/selects a window in toto)

Aug 16, 2011 4:42 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

>>btw: why do you use an un-paid 3rd party tool to publish simple screen-shots? MacOS comes with all you >>need;

Yes, I know :-}

But I had already exported the video, which clearly illustrated how the animation worked in M4 butnot M5.

Then whenI couldn't attach the video file, my brain froze and I uploaded screen snaps of the video instead.

I caught myself in the act but got lazy and wouldn't go back and do screensnaps from both M4 and M5 again.

Stupid + Lazy = bad combo 🙂

Back to your project: Did you use the Paint tool for your red circle? I don't understand... How can you make a perfect circle with Paint + write on?

On a different note: Look at the attachment. Notice anything strange with the HUD vs. the Inspector?

BR;

User uploaded file

Aug 16, 2011 8:59 AM in response to edvinpedvin

edvinpedvin wrote:

.... Did you use the Paint tool for your red circle? I don't understand... How can you make a perfect circle with Paint + write on?

sorry, me no good English:

I meant: when you not use imported pictures (jpgs) but 'paint' your graphics with M5's built-in features. the write-on-behavior follows the 'paths' the rectangle/circle/bezier-tool creates - no masks needed.

a circle: circle-selector, shift-key = perfect circle. as you can see in my screen-shot above: give that selection an 'outline' ('fill' is in use with the white circle), color.done.

a box: two points with the bezier-tool (hold shift to make it 0°/90°), modify end- and starting-points to be recangular, add color, done.

this basic animation has 4 layers: the red circle being 'painted', the blue box appearing, the white 'dot' tumbling in, the 'station name' randomly dropping in.

if you know HOW a 10min-done-project ... 🙂

Aug 16, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Aha, NOW I understand: It's a shape/path, and then you apply a write-on behaviour directly to the shape itself, afterwards. Didn't think of that. Perhaps the technique I pointed you to was like this, but I didn't read all of it 🙂

The technique I tried is a general masking technique, in which you animate the source of an image mask to unveil something else, which needn't be limited to shapes, but can be anything: Image, video, shape, text, ...

And I really want to find out why it didn't work in M5.

But thanks for showing me something new!

Cheers;

very basic question: How to make a circle appear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.