Skip navigation

very basic question: How to make a circle appear?

1080 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 10:54 PM by Karsten Schlüter RSS
Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (29,465 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 14, 2011 11:09 PM

New to Motion5, read lot's of tutorials, but this very simple task is beyond my skills:

I like to appear a circle, as 'drawn':

kreis.jpg

saw tutorials how to make handwritten typo, so I guess, it has to do with masks (?)

and digged thru 'behaviors' - no luck.

do I think too complicated?

... thanks in advance!

k.

• edvinpedvin Calculating status...

That should bE> the same way that you do "flourishes", which is discussed in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/170/858730#858731

You need to apply an "image mask" (by right-clicking) to your red circle.

The source for this img mask should be a your paint-stroke, with write-on behaviour checked.

cheers;

e.

• edvinpedvin Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hope you'll be able to work as intended.

I'm a motion noob myself, and find these forums a tremendous resource.

Here's a project I did before the weeked, where I got really god advice form another member:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15925938#15925938

A cool effect and a project that provides a lot of learning, if you're interested.

Cheers;

::e

Hey,

must admit I tried to do this in Motion 5, and could not make it work.

Being quite sure it should work the way I did it, I decided to try it in Motion 4 as well.

I found out that it works in Motion 4, but not in Motion 5.

I did a screen-grab in both versions 4 and 5, but can't upload video here (greyed-out option),

so I attached stills from both version at frame 10 of the project.

Project was created in Motion 4; nothing is changed when opening in Motion 5.

So I'd like to find what could be at work here; why doesn this not work in Motion 5?

BR;

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 11.03.19.png

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 11.03.46.png

>>btw: why do you use an un-paid 3rd party tool to publish simple screen-shots? MacOS comes with all you >>need;

Yes, I know :-}

But I had already exported the video, which clearly illustrated how the animation worked in M4 butnot M5.

Then whenI couldn't attach the video file, my brain froze and I uploaded screen snaps of the video instead.

I caught myself in the act but got lazy and wouldn't go back and do screensnaps from both M4 and M5 again.

Stupid + Lazy = bad combo

Back to your project: Did you use the Paint tool for your red circle? I don't understand... How can you make a perfect circle with Paint + write on?

On a different note: Look at the attachment. Notice anything strange with the HUD vs. the Inspector?

BR;

Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 13.38.09.png

Aha, NOW I understand: It's a shape/path, and then you apply a write-on behaviour directly to the shape itself, afterwards. Didn't think of that. Perhaps the technique I pointed you to was like this, but I didn't read all of it

The technique I tried is a general masking technique, in which you animate the source of an image mask to unveil something else, which needn't be limited to shapes, but can be anything: Image, video, shape, text, ...

And I really want to find out why it didn't work in M5.

But thanks for showing me something new!

Cheers;

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.