Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD 1Tb HDD on a 13" Macbook Pro

I'm considering upgrading the hard drive on my 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Macbook Pro, and have been looking at the 1Tb Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TPVT.

Does someone has any experience with this upgrade? I've been reading some mixed opinions, specially related to the size of the drive, so I'm wondering if this is the right choice, or if I should stick to a 750Gb drive or so. Any input is welcome!

Also I'm considering upgrading ram from the 4 Gb to 8, so if anyone has any input on that too, it would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced

Miguel

Macbook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:16 AM

Miguel,

I have the 1tb WD Scorpio Blue in my 13" MBP.

It's a 12.5 mm height drive and does fit in the HD bay.

It is only 5400rpm and will be noticeably slower than the 7200rpm drives. The WD becomes increasingly slow as it fills up.

If it is your only drive, I would recommended you go with the 750gb 7200rpm Seagate or WD Scorpio Black.

I run a SSD in addition to the WD.

Sam.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2011 4:16 AM in response to MiguelJAS

Miguel,

I have the 1tb WD Scorpio Blue in my 13" MBP.

It's a 12.5 mm height drive and does fit in the HD bay.

It is only 5400rpm and will be noticeably slower than the 7200rpm drives. The WD becomes increasingly slow as it fills up.

If it is your only drive, I would recommended you go with the 750gb 7200rpm Seagate or WD Scorpio Black.

I run a SSD in addition to the WD.

Sam.

Aug 15, 2011 4:51 AM in response to samberl

ThereĀ“s also a 1TB Model with 9,5mm height available (http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=951&language=1).

Although I have an 750GB Scorpio Black working in my MacbookPro too, I want to mention that this drive is noticably louder than my old 5400rpm drive (only think about if silence or speed is more important for you).

Upgrading Ram is really easy too, simpy follow these steps: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link4.

Most producers of Ram are offering "Mac-tested"-labeled modules which ist the more secure choice (but often a little bit more expensive). My MacbookPro is working very well with Ram from G.Skill but there are enough other options. You should pay attention to the clocking of the Ram because there are some threads reporting issues with 1333MHz modules unable to automatically clocking down with MacbookĀ“s needing 1066MHz-modules (if IĀ“m not wrong the right modules for your Macbook would be PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 MHz type RAM)

farbschmelz

Aug 18, 2011 3:39 PM in response to samberl

Thanks samberl,

this will be my main drive (I have a few external ones, but I work with Final Cut, Logic Studio and Photoshop so I want a large disc that can hold most of my stuff all the time), so I think I'll follow your advice and go for a 750Gb.

I'm looking at the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 2,5" 750 GB and the Seagate MOMENTUS 7200 2,5" 750 GB, so it's only a matter of finding out which one is the best.

Do you have any opinions on this?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Aug 18, 2011 3:47 PM in response to farbschmelz

Thanks farbschmelz,

noise (or silence) it's not extremely important to me, unless it's really a BIG difference from the one I have right now...

I'm more concerned with battery life. Did you noticed any difference worth mentioning? I've heard a 7200 can reduce battery life a bit, but I'm wondering if it's something I should really worry about.

I've seen a hybrid Seagate drive (500 GB + 4 Gb on ssd), do you think it would be an option to consider?

Also, thank for the info on the RAM update. I'm looking on pixmania.com to see if I can find something compatible, and I'll probably get two 4Gb with my new hard drive, so I can mount them all at once.

Thanks a lot, I'll look at that RAM info!!

Aug 18, 2011 8:37 PM in response to MiguelJAS

I have used both the Seagate Momentus and WD Scorpio Black drives without problems.

Some users on this forum have had issues with the WD Scorpio Black. You may like to do a search.

Here are some benckmarks on the Seagate and WD Scorpio Black.

I've not noticed any difference in battery life or with head using the 7200 rpm drives compared to the 5400 rpm.

If you think about it, the 7200 drive will be faster accessing your data and should spin down more quickly.

I don't have any experience with the Seagate Momentus XT. There have been mixed reviews.

Have you considered removing the optical drive and having dual HDs or a SSD/HD configuration?

The second drive is held in an optibay or datadoubler enclosure.

Dual HDs could be configured to run in RAID 0 (striping for speed) or RAID 1 (mirroring for redundancy).

If you run RAID 0, you overcome the speed issues of the 5400rpm drives and could have up to 2tb of internal storage.

Just something to consider if you want to maximise your internal storage.

Aug 20, 2011 3:44 PM in response to MiguelJAS

I decided to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive ended up with a Hitachi 7k500 7200RPM 500GB (HD20500 IDK/7K) drive and have been very happy with it so far. Vibration is consistent with the original stock 5400 RPM drive (which is virtually non-existent) and the speed increase was very noticeable. Battery-life does not appear to be affected.

I originally purchased a WD Scorpio Black 7200750GB (WD7500BPKT) and the vibrations were very noticeable. I had to exchange it for the Hitachi.

Another contender was the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 7300RPM 75-GB, which I would have tried next if I wasn't satisfied with the Hitachi.

Aug 24, 2011 6:33 PM in response to Scott Cullen

Thanks Scott,

the only problem with the Momentus is that they only make 500 Gb drives...

When I first bought my MBP I already knew 250 wouldn't be enough, but now I'm worried I'll fill a 500 Gb and I really wanted to maximize my space. Maybe I need to consider if I'll realisitically fill a 500 Gb with important stuff, so maybe an hybrid wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Thanks for your input on the Scorpio Black too, I'll look into other options too.

All the best

Miguel

Sep 5, 2011 12:44 PM in response to MiguelJAS

I bought the WD Scorpio Black and I cannot use it because the spinning beach ball appears all the time.

Some other people is having the same issue (Some other not).

And as I read some other people is also having issues with the Seagate Momentus harddrive and some other not.

I am thinking to buy the Seagate one now and sell the WD one

Is matter of luck!!!!

WD 1Tb HDD on a 13" Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.