Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 issues - removed battery now things aren't working.

Hi,

I've got a Powerbook G4 that I bought from a friend to bring on a work trip overseas. I don't use it for much besides surfing the net. I'm not sure of the specs (I don't currently have it with me at work) but I'm pretty sure the OS is Tiger. Yesterday I started having some issues, I'll start from the beginning:

The computer was on and connected to AC power when it went to sleep. A while later I came back to it, the light on the front was pulsing like it normally does in sleep mode but nothing would wake it up, I clicked the mouse button and hit some keys and nothing happened. I then tried pressing the power button which did nothing so i tried holding the power button to reboot but again got nothing. At this point I unplugged the AC power. I let it go and came back to it a few times every hour or so and tried hiting keys and the power button to wake it. Nothing happened but the light on the front continued to pulse. After a few more tries maybe 3 or 4 hours later I decided to pop out the battery to get it to turn off so I could try rebooting it. This worked and my computer restarted but now I'm having some issues I can't resolve:

1-The computer will connect to my local wireless network but does not find the IP address (uses a "self assigned" IP address) and therefore will not connect to the internet. I even tried plugging directly into the modem/router via ethernet but got the same results, successful connection but no IP addy and no internet. Network diagnostics weren't much help. The modem seems to be fine as my phone, xbox 360 and my roommates PC all still connect with no problems.

2-In the finder it can see my external hard drive I use to store music and videos, I can access files on it pull them off onto a thumb drive or watch/listen to them on my laptop but when i try to drag files to the hard drive it tells me there is not enough free space (the drive has about 25gb free, the file I tried was about 700mb) and at the bottom of the finder where it usually tells me how much space is available it just tells me how many files are in the folder i'm viewing.

If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get the internet working as this laptop is what i use to pay my bills back home and stay in touch with friends and family while I am living overseas.

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 12:54 AM

1 reply

Aug 15, 2011 3:05 AM in response to Cannibal Shogun

My wife uses a similar machine. When things seem to go haywire I usually just reinstall the OS.

You can do this by putting the install disk in and following instructions, when you choose the hdd you will have the option to 'ARCHIVE AND INSTALL', this will not wipe out your data but WILL give you a brand new installation of the OS.

If that doesn't work -- save all your data on an ext. hdd and then reinstall, this time format hdd and reinstall OS X.

Good Luck!

Powerbook G4 issues - removed battery now things aren't working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.