Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail not deleting message on google IMAP

Just upgraded to Lion and Mail app is not deleting messages on Google IMAP web mail. If I delete a message locally on mail app and then go to web mail or iphone, message is still in inbox. Wasn't having this issue on Snow Leopard. I have my domain mail set up on Google apps and worked like a charm until upgrading to Lion. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 7:26 AM

Double-check your Gmail IMAP settings within Mail to ensure that Mail's version of your Gmail account's Trash folder is actually mapped to the Trash label on the Gmail servers:

1. In Mail's left-most pane (where the mail folders and IMAP accounts are listed), show the entire contents of your Gmail's account structure. If the Trash folder is still listed there, it is not mapped to the Trash folder "on your Mac" for Gmail.

2. Select the Trash folder under the Gmail account

3. Under the "Mailbox" menu item, click on the "Use this mailbox for..." option and select Trash

4. The trash folder under your Gmail account structure will seem to disappear. In actuality, the contents of that folder will now be displayed in the Trash mailbox up the pane. If done correctly, that mailbox should now have a selection triangle next to it and when opened will reveal the Gmail Trash folder in it.

What all this does is ensure that when you delete the contents of that Trash mailbox, the contents of the Gmail account's Trash will also be marked for deletion (or immediately purged, depending up on you have that set up with Gmail itself).

FYI, you can also do this with the Sent, Drafts, and Junk/Spam folders for any IMAP account. This ensures that the actions you take in Mail will be synched to the appropriate mailboxes/folders in your other IMAP accounts.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2011 7:26 AM in response to Tommy Moore

Double-check your Gmail IMAP settings within Mail to ensure that Mail's version of your Gmail account's Trash folder is actually mapped to the Trash label on the Gmail servers:

1. In Mail's left-most pane (where the mail folders and IMAP accounts are listed), show the entire contents of your Gmail's account structure. If the Trash folder is still listed there, it is not mapped to the Trash folder "on your Mac" for Gmail.

2. Select the Trash folder under the Gmail account

3. Under the "Mailbox" menu item, click on the "Use this mailbox for..." option and select Trash

4. The trash folder under your Gmail account structure will seem to disappear. In actuality, the contents of that folder will now be displayed in the Trash mailbox up the pane. If done correctly, that mailbox should now have a selection triangle next to it and when opened will reveal the Gmail Trash folder in it.

What all this does is ensure that when you delete the contents of that Trash mailbox, the contents of the Gmail account's Trash will also be marked for deletion (or immediately purged, depending up on you have that set up with Gmail itself).

FYI, you can also do this with the Sent, Drafts, and Junk/Spam folders for any IMAP account. This ensures that the actions you take in Mail will be synched to the appropriate mailboxes/folders in your other IMAP accounts.

Mar 24, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Community User

One other thing seemed to be necessary in my case (alumni Gmail account). When I had "auto expurge on", it would not let the messages go to the trash I think, but rather archived them. When I turned it to off, I could then select "Move messages to the trash" and really delete them rather than archive.

One other question (since I now have a lot of leftover archived messages). The ones I thought I deleted are all mixed in with the ones I'm keeping for now. This is the gmail equivalent of "All Mail", correct? So I'm assuming there's no way to figure out which ones should have been deleted except to read them again, correct?

Thanks!

Mail not deleting message on google IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.