Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad when travelling to Europe

Can I use my iPad in Italy and other places in Europe. Am only interested in connecting via WiFi?

Is there anything special I need to do this?

Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:38 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2014 7:59 AM in response to jerifromvictoria

Here is my experience April 2014 (Ipad 4)

I purchased a Lebara sim card (data only) in Amsterdam near the central train station from Phone Point, (Address: Haring Pakkers--Steeg2-4, 1012 LR). It was on a small side street, not a main street where prices are much higher. The card worked all over Holland. The young man was very helpful, helped me decide how many gigs I would need, and made sure it was connected before I left the store. I felt he was honest. He changed the APN number. (If you have a current sim card, be sure to take a picture on your ipad in Settings before the number is changed, so you can change back when you return to the USA. I have a Verizion sim card, but it automatically changed when I reinserted it back in my iPad when I came back to Los Angeles.)

When I arrived in Prague, I purchased a data sim card from Vodafone at the main train station. Again, the young man who waited on me was very helpful. He changed my APN and made sure it worked before I left the store.

If you change sim cards like I did, take a picture in Settings of the APN number. I returned to Holland, so I used the Lebara sim card again after returning from Prague. I had the APN pic in my Camera Roll, so I referred to the picture to change the APN.

You will need an adapter to charge your iPad.

They can be purchased here in USA or in Europe at phone stores,

May 5, 2014 8:18 AM in response to OKOKatie

Continued:

Most of the hotels have wifi, but some charge, so be sure to ask. I used the wifi from the hotels at night, but during the day I used the sim card to find sights we wanted to visit (maps), restaurants, etc. when we were on the move. Using maps on the train was great, which allowed me to follow our route as we traveled across the country.

Before I left the US for Europe I contacted Apple and Verizon, but no one could or would help me find out if I could use a data sim card I purchased in Europe. With my Verizon sim card here in the US, the APN number does not show in my Settings. So the question I had was, could I change my APN (which by reading on the Internet, I knew I had to do to use the European system) when I used another card in Europe. Well, as soon as the Lebara, as well as the Vodafone, cards were inserted, the APN came up in my iPad Settings and the number could be changed, so those cards could work. (APN for Lebara in Holland was: multimedia.lebara.nl) (for Vodafone in Czech Republic: APN: internet, Username: Vodafonecz) No user name was required for the Lebara data sim card.

Using iPad when travelling to Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.