Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help: Hosting iWeb sites on Lion Server

Hello

So I don't know a lot about networking, as I just started learning about it and have always focused on audio. So I upgraded to Lion and also purchased Lion Server. I have 2 sites created in iWeb (copied the domain file and reconstructed another). I really think I'm overlooking something simple, but what do I know! I had been getting a 403 error trying to access the site (from the internet), but now I'm just getting "Forbidden". Also, when I go into iweb and try to connect via FTP and do the test connection, it just keeps trying to "log in". Eventually it'll say, couldn't do it and to check my IPs and such. So if anybody has a step-by-step or a check list or something! hahaha I'd REALLY appreciate the help! I know it's not a lot of detail, but I wouldn't know where to start, so feel free to ask!

Thank you in advance!!

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:40 PM

5 replies

Aug 15, 2011 8:19 PM in response to KeenanS

OK so, here's the latest: I published to folder in iWeb. In all of the videos I've seen, under webs they have server.SITENAME.com and then SITENAME.com. In my "SITENAME.com" I changed the directory to the folder that was created by iWeb. After that, on my Mac I could connect server.SITENAME.com, but not SITENAME.com. I really feel like I'm overlooking something really simple...

Aug 26, 2011 6:48 PM in response to KeenanS

Alright....so...got a little further. I realize I have to configure my router for port forwarding and use a DNS. I'll look into port forwarding in a bit. As for a dns, I saw that Google has a free public DNS. Does anybody use that or can recommend one? Please help and let me know if I'm doing anything else wrong.

Aug 27, 2011 8:44 AM in response to KeenanS

Hi,

I saw you did not had a lot of response and I do not claim to be the expert but I have my web side runing using dyndns.org. You have to create an account with an address on their webside and then configer your dns server. This is normally on your router which hopefulle supplies the functionality to configer it. The dyndns account will then link your address to the IP address of your server as created by your provider and change it when it is changed by your profider. In this way you always have a link from outside using the same address. As far as I know you can only test this from outside your own network.

Success

Aug 27, 2011 5:15 PM in response to macink

thank you VERY much! I'm slowly getting all of that down and ready. Do you by any chance know how I can host 2 sites? I've seen most people saying that I have to edit one of the apache files, but it's a hidden file and I need to download a certain text app (can't remember the name) to view and edit it....

Thank you again!

Please help: Hosting iWeb sites on Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.