Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will upgrading my Macbook Pro

I will be upgrading my Macbook Pro 13inch 2.26 from 2gb of RAM to either 4gb or 8gb but dont know if the 8gb will have a big impact on battery life or heat. I want to go with the 8gb becuase its really cheap and it will help me "future proof" my macbook

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:58 PM

Obviously installiing more RAM will have a few impacts.

• Startup time will be a little longer due to the additional time needed to check the RAM.
  • More RAM uses more power, so battery life will decline.
  • More power consumption means more heat dissipation so it will run hotter where the RAM is located.
  • Using more RAM than you really need doesn't make the computer perform better, but using less RAM than you need can penalize performance, so more RAM is usually better than too little RAM.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2011 3:58 PM in response to WaterBottle-_-

Obviously installiing more RAM will have a few impacts.

• Startup time will be a little longer due to the additional time needed to check the RAM.
  • More RAM uses more power, so battery life will decline.
  • More power consumption means more heat dissipation so it will run hotter where the RAM is located.
  • Using more RAM than you really need doesn't make the computer perform better, but using less RAM than you need can penalize performance, so more RAM is usually better than too little RAM.

Will upgrading my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.