Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Enroll into Profile Manager on Lion Server

I'm unable to enroll my MAC OS X Lion clients into profile manager. I'm getting the error

" mdmclient: *** ERROR *** [Agent:501] ProcessOTABootstrapPayload (<CPProfile:-102> The profile is either missing some required information, or contains information in an invalid format.)

and

"System Preferences: *** ERROR *** [CPInstallerUI:501] Profile installation (Device Enrollment (com.apple.ota.MyserverName.Domain.com.bootstrap)) (<CPProfile:-102> The profile is either missing some required information, or contains information in an invalid format.)

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:20 PM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2013 10:48 AM in response to NWFSCIT

Help!

Anyone ever get anywhere with this? I am experiencing this issue and have been beating on it for quite some time.

I initially was having issues with SSL and self assigned certs and I would get an error saying that the connection may not be secure. I finally wiped the whole profile manager (using wipeDB.sh) and remade a fresh self assigned cert and now don't get any (apparent) SSL errors, but get this every time when trying to enroll:

mdmclient[448]: Configuration profile contains missing or invalid information for PayloadUUID

mdmclient[448]: *** ERROR *** [Agent:501] ExtractOTAIdentity (<CPProfile:-102> The profile is either missing some required information, or contains information in an invalid format.)

mdmclient[448]: *** ERROR *** [Agent:501] ProcessOTABootstrapProfileCore (<CPProfile:-102> The profile is either missing some required information, or contains information in an invalid format.)

System Preferences[223]: *** ERROR *** [CPInstallerUI:501] Profile installation (Auto-Join Devices Enrollment (com.apple.ota.<myservername>.bootstrap)) (<CPProfile:-102> The profile is either missing some required information, or contains information in an invalid format.)

I even followed these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3221330?start=0&tstart=0 and blew away OD and let Server.app remake the master, restored, and everything... Still nothing. (Also, for the record, I have downloaded the Trust Profile first). I have tried it on Macs, both 10.7 and 10.8 and I get the exact same thing in the log. Interestingly, on an iPad I get a different error ("The server certificate for <servername> is invalid"), but I don't get any SSL warnings on the mac? I've watched and read so much on Profile Manger in 10.7 and it all looks so easy, but I just cannot make it work on my setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 5, 2013 7:49 AM in response to scrogers

My issues seem to have been mitigated by upgrading clients to Mountain Lion 10.8 (and the latest iOS at the time - now running 6.1.1 and 6.1.2) and a completely fresh server install. I know this is not ideal for everyone (or was even that ideal for me). Mountain Lion Server.app has vastly improved over Lion based Server.app.

One route I decided to take with so many issues was to use virtualization and be able to clone a configuration once I had it working thus making change rollbacks much easier than wipeDB.sh and/or restoring from backup (TimeMachine or other).

Sorry I couldn't help with your exact configuration but wanted you to know there is a path from where you're at to a working configuration.

YMMV.

Can't Enroll into Profile Manager on Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.