Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Isight shuts down unexpectedly

I've had my macbook pro for just over a year. Whenever I use the Isight on skype or oovoo and sometimes in photobooth, the mac says their is no connected camera. I have to restart the computer all the time. Anyone run into this issue or know of any remedy in fixing this? I've already reformatted it twice and I dont feel like doing it again. Please help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:41 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2011 1:29 PM in response to 1wickked1

Hi,

In early model MacBook Pros the cable through the hinge (on route from Motherboard to Camera) could become frayed on well used models (open and closing the lid)

Later models have done away with that (rerouted cable) but suffer occasionally from the cable coming loose from the camera end.

If Apple Care is involved/available, I have seen posts were the whole screen is replaced (presumably for ease of access).

This is the sort of thing involved (this a a model Specific link)

Model listings

There have been suggestions that some people pick up or steady their laptop with a finger and thumb pinch top centre of screen where the camera is that may contribute to this.

Trouble Shooting an iSight suggest testing in as many apps as possible, then in a different Mac User account, checking the System Profiler before suggesting a SMC/PMU Reset

Some have found that a Safe Boot (and then Restart) has helped.

If none of the Trouble Shooting stuff down helps, it is time for an engineer.

User uploaded file
9:29 PM Wednesday; August 17, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Isight shuts down unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.