Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 install hangs at "Windows is loading files ..." on MBA

I have been trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate but each time the install hangs at "Windows is loading files ..." on reboot. I am using a Windows install DVD using an external drive. When the install hangs, the DVD is not being accessed. I have tried several times and it leads to the same result. I have tried different partition sizes (20 GB - 50 GB), no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), Bootcamp and Windows 7 Ultimate ins

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 7:20 PM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2011 8:08 AM in response to moonboon

Solution

I have a macmini bought in mid2011 with OS Lion on it. AS it doesnot come with an optical drive, I bought an LG DVD drive and used the windows 7 (64bit) installation DVD. It stopped at windows is loading files....

I tired couple of other options like using flash dirve but it dint work.

The I went to Apple's Genius Bar, and they put the installation dvd into their dvd drive (by Apple). Then the windows installed perfectly fine.

When asked they said it must be the problem of DVD and I found out that it actually is the cause. Apple products require dual layer optical drives but in general the optical drives we buy can only read single layer dvds. So I got to fix the problem by borrowing their dvd drive in genius bar and now i m good to go.....

Hope this helps

Windows 7 install hangs at "Windows is loading files ..." on MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.