Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP early 2007 model having issues with volume and brightness control keys (f1-f9)

My MBP, early 2007 (came with tiger 10.4 in the box) and now running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is having some weird problems with its f1-f9 keys.

For about 2 weeks now I have noticed that I cannot change the brightness and volume (especially) using these keys.

The layout of the keys on my MBP are as attached:

User uploaded file

I tried to google the problem and tried a few diy fix-its, however nothing seems to work... and there seems to be no clear answer either. One day, during these two weeks it suddenly worked for about 2 minutes then stopped again and hasn't worked since.

Anyone experienced any similar problems? or have any idea what I can do to fix it?

As a last resort, I would eventually get a wireless keyboard to use with the MBP.

2007 MacBookPro 15" (A1211), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 11:11 PM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2011 5:03 AM in response to tjk

Thanks tjk, I tried that but it did not help. However over these last 2 days I noticed something more.

When I go to the keyboard setting, the 'use all f1 keys..." was off (as it was supposed to be) and then I click to turn it on and then off again and then the keys are ok and working perfectly till...

The next time I shut down and restart my computer, the key problem is back again. And again I do the same procedure above to fix it and so on...

Aug 17, 2011 12:30 PM in response to dominicandsumi

dominicandsumi wrote:

Thanks tjk, I tried that but it did not help. However over these last 2 days I noticed something more.

When I go to the keyboard setting, the 'use all f1 keys..." was off (as it was supposed to be) and then I click to turn it on and then off again and then the keys are ok and working perfectly till...

The next time I shut down and restart my computer, the key problem is back again. And again I do the same procedure above to fix it and so on...

Hmmm, it sounds like a corrupt preference.

Open Console and let's see if there's anything in there to help us.

MBP early 2007 model having issues with volume and brightness control keys (f1-f9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.