Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show Sidebar

Lion has no Sidebar for removeable disks? Is this a security issue, due to hide it from beginners? How to show it (Command Option S does not work, too)

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

~Karl

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:12 AM

Devices are now listed at the bottom - do you just need to scroll down?

User uploaded file

Regards,

Colin R.

15 replies

Aug 16, 2011 3:36 PM in response to Colin Robinson

Colin Robinson wrote:

Devices are now listed at the bottom - do you just need to scroll down?

Regards,

Colin R.

This change, Colin, is a little step for Apple and a great jump fur users… it appeals to me.

What I meant:

Former Finder had this (blue, if clicked) switch area to show/hide the Sidebar, see:

User uploaded file

Lion has it not (out of the box), not at least on removeable disks like DVDs;

User uploaded file

and the command in menu „View“ is grayed out:

User uploaded file

It was quit practicabel to show the sidebar to be able to copy an application directely from an image-window to the application-folder…

Now we can play with moving windows around the tesktop to see the application (update) and an window with the application window hoping we can drag and drop, we stand at the beginn again. Was this the price to get windows resized from more than one corner?

Is there a solution to show the sidebar to copy directely from a disk to a folder on the computer? I am afraid - no.

~k.

Aug 16, 2011 10:56 PM in response to sdevan

sdevan wrote:

On my machine, the Finder view menu shows either view or hide sidebar depending on the visibility of the sidebar.

So my windows are having, depending on the kind of storage:

User uploaded file

Picture one: The writeable Systemdisk, viewing onto the Desktop, Hide/show Sidebar alternating in the View-Menu;

User uploaded file

Picture two: Expanded .dmg, not writeable, Show Sidebar outgrayed

THAT WAS THE FORMER QUESTION.

User uploaded file

Picture three: clickable area in former OS for Show/Hide Sidebar; away in Lion, away the posibility to show the Sidebar in writeprotected volumes.

Out of the box.

I retrac my question to show sidebar somehow because my language knowledge is to weak to draw the question.

Thanks to all,

Karl

Aug 17, 2011 3:45 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

I understand what you mean now 🙂

Here is a download from Crucial.com (It is an app to determine what memory sticks I can buy for my iMac.).

User uploaded file

You have to either run the app from the .dmg or drag it to the Applications folder but without the button you need to open another window to find the Applications folder.

It's the same with the Firefox download, but that manufacturer has at least put the shortcut to Applications in the window to make installing easier:

User uploaded file

Even the Recovery Disk Assistant from Apple is the same:

User uploaded file

So it must be Lion if you can't even do it on the Recovery Disk Assistant. On this one you double click the icon to launch, for Firefox you drag to the app folder, and the Crucial app is the worst design because you need to open another window to put it in the App folder (but you can run it from the dmg because it only opens a Safari window).

Aug 17, 2011 12:05 PM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

In Lion, you have to first show the toolbar, then show the sidebar. Snow Leopard would show the sidebar by default when you chose to show the toolbar.

Unfortunately there's a bug in this particular situation which causes the sidebar to not actually appear the first time you choose "Show Sidebar". You have to hide it again, then show it again, or close and re-open the window.

If you want to use keyboard shortcuts, then you can do the following: While keeping Command + Option pressed, press T S S S

I was hoping 10.7.1 would fix this, but it did not.

Aug 17, 2011 2:24 PM in response to sdevan

To svedan: 😉

Command N, so did I for a long, long time until I saw the „pill“ to open the sidebar and mentally approbiate by heart it to me … much shadow after much sun when sun goes away

Have nice days and much joy, enjoyment, uplifting, delighting, (from my dictionary) …

all good things what a person needs 😉

~k.

Aug 1, 2012 5:24 AM in response to Seph

This is still a problem in Mountain Lion. You can have a Toolbar without a Sidebar, but you can't have a Sidebar without a Toolbar. Very strange. Why would they grey out "Show Sidebar" when the Toolbar is not shown? What is the great benefit that justifies millions of hours wasted in figuring out how to show the sidebar.

Show Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.