11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2011 7:28 PM by Jarom Ellsworth
CeeJaa@Mac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Can't say I like the new iCal running on Lion. One feature that I can't seem to find is the mini month view. I did away with my paper calendar for viewing full months because of the mini month calendars on my Macs.

Is that functionality gone? I've searched preferences and menus and can't find a way to turn it on.

So many things about this new iCal that I find I do not like. I sure hope updates are coming to fix it.

CJ

• Rich Bullock Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

The only mini-month I can find is the current month in the Day view.

I also don't like that they did away with the Calendar List in the side pane. Handy to drag appts to, to change the calendar they were in. Still works with the dropdown, but not as easy.

And what do all the colors mean in the Year view?

But Address Book is even worse, so I'm not complaining too much about iCal.

• CeeJaa@Mac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You are so right about the Address Book. I've been working with it this morning and I am so frustrated. I've created new groups I can't figure out how to get rid of while attempting to add new contacts. Everything seems to take way too many steps to get to. I understand change is hard, but this change PAINFUL.

• bragi56 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I agree: iCal has become considerably worse with v 5.0!

By removing the 'mini month view' Apple has taken away precious overview and a very handy navigation-functionality.  Having an overview of the next 3-4 months on the screen next to the week-view of the calendar is VERY handy when planning for this coming time!  Put it back please ! ! !

It is also very inconvenient that the text one writes in the calender doesn't show line-breaks.  It amazes me that Apple would take the possibility of structuring the information one writes in the calender.  This is very inconvenient and a sad loss of functionality!

Although not as important as the 'mini month view' and losing the possibility to structure the info one writes in the calender, it would be great to get the 'calender list' as it was in iCal 4.  Again it gives an overview of one's categories for the calender which may be quite many for some people.

All together I think Lion is a great and an advanced operating system, but I also think that parts of it are very painful.

Bragi

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (72,460 points)

I'm not sure I ought to keep recommending this product (though I have no connection with the company) but BusyCal is the answer to your problem (free trial on the website, cheaper in the Mac App Store than from the website).

Last thing about iCal which I think could be fixed, is that it would be easier to type down events and making line-breaks if one whouldn't have to hold 'Alt' in while doing it.  I make line-breaks much more often than I finish editing an event (in which case you just press enter or click outside the event you were editing).  It would be better to press 'alt' + 'enter' in order to finish editing an event, and reserve the action of just pressing 'enter' for line-breaks.  This, btw, was also this way in iCal 4.

Ok, last last thing: in the preferences of iCal one can add a default alert to all new timed events and invitations and one can specify how many minutes before one wants to be alerted.  I do not want to add a default alert to all new events/appointments, but I would like to be able to specify the default number of minutes put on all new alerts that I put on events.  It seems quite intuitive to me that the default number of minutes one can specify for every alarm added to events by defult (if that option is checked in the preferences), should be the defult number of minutes set to alarms one manually puts on events, in stead of the '15 minutes before' default that is in the system and which seems to be unchangable.

Screen Shot 2011-08-30 at 17.51.03.png

If it says '0 minutes before the start time' there, then all alerts that I manually put on events should have this value put to zero by default! 

Thanks Roger!   It has (almost) all the functionality that I've been missing ... great recomendation

• robinfromlexington Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I really like BusyCal but I fell like purchasing it is a lot like purchasing iCal from SL again. I have bought and used iCal with each upgrade apple has put out. Could it be that the developer of Lion created BusyCal and the only way to sell it is to downgrade iCal to be so bad we are all willing to spend even more money to buy a more productive calendar than what is on Lion? namely what used to be on SL? I'm so fed up with this downgraded Lion. How do I revert back to SN?

robinfromlexington wrote:

.Could it be that the developer of Lion created BusyCal and the only way to sell it is to downgrade iCal to be so bad we are all willing to spend even more money to buy a more productive calendar than what is on Lion?

You need a paranoia check.

How do I revert back to SN?

Assuming you mean SL (SN = Snow Newt?)

Please see Kappy's post here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15764708#15764746

Please particularly note his warning that the process will erase your hard disk and you must make a backup first (not in Time Machine using Lion).

• robinfromlexington Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Not paranoid, just wish I had thought of it.

Thanks for the info, I did in fact mean Snow Leopard. Will try this.

robinfromlexington wrote:

Not paranoid...

I know: I keep telling people I'm not paranoid but they never believe me.

• Jarom Ellsworth Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I wish they would make the Lion iCal look the same as the iCloud calendar. I like the months at the bottom for easy navigation.