Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speak Selected Text when the key is pressed Hotkey Stops working

Hi, Long time lurker on these forums but first time posting becuase I can't find any information about anyone else having this issue or possible solutions.

In the Speech section of system preferences. Under the Text to Speech Tab, there is a checkbox which is checked off next to Speak Selected Text when key is pressed. I have it set as command+option+control+S

and it worked fine in snow leopard for years and even in lion but sometimes in lion, it stops working... when i goto textedit.app and type test and highlight it and right click on selected text... then goto speech then click start speaking it works fine but when i try the hotkey it stops working...

even more weird. when i goto system preferences to change it to another hotkey to see if that would help, i jsut get the beachball of death for about 3 minutes... and it recovers, i can make the change, i click save, and it gets beachball of death again for another 3 minutes or so. i never seen system prefs lock up like that.

Also check this out:

User uploaded file

I with to disk utility and did repair permissions and only thing it finds is this:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Pic Related so you know im not lying. 😝

User uploaded file

Please help. I use this feature all the time since I have ADD and can't read something for more than a sentence and a half.

Okay anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, I'm willing to try everything at this point. i can't keep restarting every hour to fix this. I will buy you lunch... via paypal. woo. 😀

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 1:43 PM

I actually ran into this same issue and created a standalone app that restores the Snow Leopard functionality. It seems to be a bug in the current implementation, hopefully Apple fix it soon.

Check out my blog for the info and the download: http://nickbona.com/blog/2011/12/12/speak-selected-text-in-os-x-lion.html

If you find it useful, feel free to share it with as many people as you'd like, just please post a link to that posting.

Nick

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2011 1:43 PM in response to CarltonBanks

I actually ran into this same issue and created a standalone app that restores the Snow Leopard functionality. It seems to be a bug in the current implementation, hopefully Apple fix it soon.

Check out my blog for the info and the download: http://nickbona.com/blog/2011/12/12/speak-selected-text-in-os-x-lion.html

If you find it useful, feel free to share it with as many people as you'd like, just please post a link to that posting.

Nick

Jan 30, 2016 10:41 AM in response to CarltonBanks

Changing the System Voice fixed it for me, more or less immediately (System Preferences > Dictation & Speech > Text to Speech > System Voice).

I had a voice selected that apparently doesn't exist anymore (Alex), so whenever I hit the text-to-speech command, I just got an error sound. Choosing any other available voice fixed it for me.

Speak Selected Text when the key is pressed Hotkey Stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.