11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 7:58 PM by tommykatts
tommykatts Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just bought a Macbook Pro running Lion OS. I want to copy EVERYTHING from my old MacBook (Snow Leopard) to the new machine. I want to have all the data, applications, settings etc copied to Lion. How can I do it? This question is likely somewher in the previous discussions. If that is the case pls direct me to the threads. Thanks a lot.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • donv (The Ghost) Level 5 Level 5 (4,600 points)

Start Utilities > Migration Assistant. Followiing the instructions, you will want to trasfer by connecting the two Macs or via a network to which they both belong. I have never used Migration Assistant for migrating to a newly purchased Mac--so I am not sure if you will have unforseen (by me) problems. Migration assistant will tell you how to connect the two Macs and, alternatively, how to use the network. You also might search on using Migration Assistant, particularly in the context of a new Mac. Be aware that some of the programs you have been using may not be Lion compatible.

• Lanny Level 5 Level 5 (5,060 points)

Start your old MacBook in Target mode by holding down the "T" key and connect it to your new MacBook with a firewire cable. Use Migration Assistant to copy your user settings to your new MacBook.

• SP Forsythe Level 5 Level 5 (5,250 points)

Use Setup Assitant instead.

That way, EVERYTHING will be transfered, settings, accounts, data applications...everything will be seamless.

I've used both, and Setup Assistant is vastly superior to Migration Assistant, when the two computers are both Macs running recent editions of OS X.

In fact, I used Setup Assistant just a week and half ago on my new 2011 MBA, from my old 2010 MBP, and it worked fantastically.

Have a Time Machine backup on an external drive from the old computer handy, as it is the best way.

If you have already used the new computer, you may have obviated the ability to use Setup Assitant.

Here are some tips.

From the article...

Setup Assistant is designed to transfer all or selected data, apps, etc. from one Mac, its Time Machine or "clone" backups, or a PC to set up a new Mac just like the old one. 

Migration Assistant, however, is used primarily to transfer user account(s) and perhaps other things, from one Mac, its backups, or a PC, adding them to a Mac that's already set up.

If you haven't already established a User on your new MacBook, it would be better to use the Setup Assistant. If you have already setup a User, then use Migration Assistant. You can't use the same User names though, so, if that's the case, create a new admin user on the new MacBook with a temporary name, delete the user account with the name that you want to use. Then use Migration Assistant to migrate over your old account.

• SP Forsythe Level 5 Level 5 (5,250 points)

If this is a new computer, reinstall Lion and use Setup Assistant.

In the end, it will take less time, and you won't have to worry about user and other conflicts.

• Krissypaps Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I should have realized this earlier but I had already set up the User Account on my spare hard drive on which I had installed Lion.  I used Migration Assistant instead, which resulted in 2 accounts -- the new User Account and my account from my MacBook Pro.  As it turns out, it's helpful to have the 2 just to see any issues that may arise in one vs. the other.

So far, everything has worked pretty smoothly.  Things initially were very slow in the account for which Migration Assistant transferred everything but that account now seems to be working just fine.  I guess it was still going through the indexing process.

SP Forsythe wrote:

If this is a new computer, reinstall Lion and use Setup Assistant.

In the end, it will take less time, and you won't have to worry about user and other conflicts.

I agree with your logic except for the part about it taking less time. It has been my experience that a full install and Setup will take roughly twice as long.

• donv (The Ghost) Level 5 Level 5 (4,600 points)

I am glad MA worked out well for you.

What happened with the OP? Are "tommykatts" and "Krissypaps" the same person?

• tommykatts Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you all. It's very helpful.

• tommykatts Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have tranferred almost everything to my new MBP (Lion 10.7.1). I have one problem. wi-fi connection is not stable. I have to turn it on and off until it gets good connection. When I was using Snow Leopard, I did not have this problem. Is it a known issue about Lion? How I can fix it? Thanks.