Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will an SMC reset lose computer data?

I have a 13" whitebodied Macbook from 2007. Just recently, the battery appears to have lost the ability to hold a charge. It is a replacement battery that I purchased when the old one died. This battery is about 2 years old. The light on the Magsafe is constantly green, but the battery menu says, "Battery is not charging." If I unplug the Magsafe, the computer shuts off immediately. After doing a bit of research, it seems as though I might be able to "repair" the battery by doing an SMC reset. I would love to be able to do something this simple, as long as I do not lose any hard drive data. It would also save me from purchasing a new $129 battery! So, two questions:

1) Is it true that I could do an SMC reset to potentially "repair" the battery?

2) Will I lose any data on my computer's hard drive when I do the SMC reset?

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 2:53 PM

You will not lose any data unless your hard drive has died.

Resetting the SMC may help with certain power related issues, but not necessarily. If the battery is bad then a reset won't help.

1 reply

Will an SMC reset lose computer data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.