Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Preferences Files

About 20 minutes ago I sent in another post about iMovie09 all of a sudden not holding transitions, so I went to look at the preference files. Keeping in mind I also have iMovieHD6 on my system (not used yet), I found this:

com.apple.imovie.plist

com.apple.imovie.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.imovie8.plist

I expected to find one for HD6 and one for 09, so what are these files?

iMovie '08, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 5:29 PM

• com.apple.imovie.plist - This is the .plist for iMovie '09 (pretty sure of that, iMove '11 uses it too)
  • com.apple.imovie8.plist - Most likely left over from a previous install of iMovie '08 (possibly?)
  • com.apple.imovie.LSSharedFileList.plist - Did some searches on Google. And it appears Apple has one of these for all their iLife apps, and some Pro Apps (Logic,Final Cut). It may be something relating to the Media Browser (Share>Media Browser). Where you can reuse iMovie projects in say iWeb, iDVD or Pages without having to export to the desktop and import them into the other program.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2011 5:29 PM in response to serenity99

• com.apple.imovie.plist - This is the .plist for iMovie '09 (pretty sure of that, iMove '11 uses it too)
  • com.apple.imovie8.plist - Most likely left over from a previous install of iMovie '08 (possibly?)
  • com.apple.imovie.LSSharedFileList.plist - Did some searches on Google. And it appears Apple has one of these for all their iLife apps, and some Pro Apps (Logic,Final Cut). It may be something relating to the Media Browser (Share>Media Browser). Where you can reuse iMovie projects in say iWeb, iDVD or Pages without having to export to the desktop and import them into the other program.

Aug 17, 2011 5:44 AM in response to serenity99

The preference files for various versions of iMovie are as follows:

⇒ iMovie 3 and iMovie 4 - "com.apple.iMovie3.plist"

⇒ iMovie HD 6 - "com.apple.iMovie.plist" (I think iMovie HD [version 5] also used this file)

⇒ iMovie '08 - "com.apple.iMovie7.plist"

⇒ iMovie '09 - "com.apple.iMovie8.plist"

⇒ iMovie '11 - "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist"

As you will note, it's all very confusing! This is mainly due to version numbers not matching the release name, or no number being allocated. For example, the iMovie '09 file is labelled with iMovie8 because the version number is 8 (the last release being 8.0.6). However, for iMovie '11 it's simply iMovieApp (with the latest version being 9.0.4).

It's difficult to see the logic with the naming protocols, but bear in mind, no harm will come if you delete the wrong file as iMovie (whatever version) will rebuild the .plist file with the default settings when next opened. You can then change settings if desired in the iMovie menu item "iMovie>Preferences".

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell - added line for iMovie '08

Aug 18, 2011 3:43 AM in response to John Cogdell

Thank you. This helps a lot. I deleted the one for iMovie 09 because I was having a problem with it losing transitions. Now its working okay but when I go to Preferences I don't see that it recreated the iMovie plist file. I see ones for iLife but not iMovie. Odd! In the past when I deleted the preference file because of problems it recreated it but not this time.

Aug 18, 2011 5:39 AM in response to serenity99

Hi serenity99 - I think you are looking in the wrong place in Finder. The iLife .plist files appear under Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences. You will find the iMovie .plist files under your User name (the Home icon)/Library/Preferences. In Finder (multi-column mode) click on your User name in the very first column (under Places), then Library, then Preferences. Otherwise click on Macintosh HD, then Users, then your name, then Library/Preferences.

John

Aug 18, 2011 4:33 PM in response to John Cogdell

Ohhhh! I didn't realize there were two directories (or more) for preferences. I know very little about what Apple does with its files and I know much more about Windows computers. However, since I bought my Mac two years ago I have not touched the Windows computer. However, I do need to learn what goes on in the background of my Mac 🙂

Thank you!

iMovie Preferences Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.