Skip navigation

Mac Lion does not burn or read DVD-R CD

88564 Views 80 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 3:43 PM by pettijohne RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
koreandrummer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 16, 2011 7:31 PM

This seems to be a problem for all mac lion osx users (not sure if it includes the mac products that came out this year)... it pertains to DVD-R cd's..... This SHOULD be a BIGGER issue, and Apple just came out with an update today, but the issue persists.

• leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (13,315 points)
    Aug 16, 2011 7:35 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

Not sure what you mean.  My DVD/CD reads and burns no issues.

You are saying you have this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X(10.7.1) 2.4GHz i5 320 HD 8RAM
    Aug 16, 2011 11:35 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

Make sure you have a superdrive to burn DVD's  (surely 2008 is a superdrive?). If not it will just spit out a blank.

>About this Mac>More info>Hardware>Disc Burning

DVD-Write:    -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

You could try a different  brand name and see if this makes a difference.

You could try a laser head cleaner,  bought just about anywhere DVD/CD are sold.

report back

Aug 16, 2011 11:46 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

Try resetting the PRAM

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

or

If  you want to report it to Apple's engineers, send a bug report  via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number thus starting a dialog with engineering.

• Milateket Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 17, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

I have been having the same problem! My machine is brand new and bought a week or so before the release of Lion. No issues before the the "upgrade". Now it is hit and mostly miss when i insert a DVD-R as to whether the disc is recognized or not. And after burning a DVD-R, that is if the machine recognized the blank DVD, i can reinsert it to have the MacBook Pro spit it out....

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15946832#15946832

• Milateket Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 17, 2011 5:31 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

So: I just got off the phone with apple "care". After going through a few things like rebooting/resetting the guy tells me probably an "intermitant optical drive problem" and i need to take it to a certified apple repair store. This machine is just one month old and it was fine until the switch over to Lion.

Some $1500.00 dollars later (not to mention the iPad i bought at the same time and the iPod i bought last year--oh yeah.. the iPod crashed in the first few months and they had to replace it with a "refurbished' unit) and i have a machine that does not work properly.

Am i a happy apple customer? No....

• JJ_Amsterdam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 18, 2011 7:13 AM (in response to koreandrummer)

I had the same issue on my Macbook Pro this morning. It wouldn't accept a CD-R or DVD-R (both Verbatim). My last burned DVD was the one in Snow Leopard for the installation of Lion. I got some DVD+R now and hope they will work.

JJ

• SockRolid Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Aug 21, 2011 1:05 AM (in response to koreandrummer)

I tried to burn some data to a CD-R and had the same problem.  The blank CD didn't appear on the desktop or in the Finder sidebar on Lion.  But iTunes launched and asked if I wanted to burn a playlist, so the system was detecting the disc.

Then I remembered that I had changed my CDs & DVDs setting in System Preferences to launch iTunes when a blank CD was inserted.  I opened System Preferences -> CDs & DVDs and chose "Open Finder" for the "When you insert a blank CD:" setting. 

Solved the problem for me.  Now when I insert a blank CD-R, it shows up on Desktop and also in the Finder sidebar.  Dragging folders to it, then clicking the "radiation hazard" burn icon burns the CD-R now.  (Late-2008 first-gen unibody MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7.1, stock SuperDrive, Philips CD-R media.)

• RedLips Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 5, 2011 9:24 PM (in response to SockRolid)

Thank you, SockRolid. Your solution solved my problem. I have a MacBook running on Snow Leopard.

• PrimitiveSoundSystem Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 17, 2011 8:41 PM (in response to koreandrummer)

I am having the same exact issue on my recently purchased iMac.  I work for an MSP so there are several different types of computers with various OS systems.  ONLY the MAC's with Lion will not read the disc I have.  The PC I refer to as "the worst machine I have ever had" opens the disc with no problem.  There is no way it is a coincidental hardware failure or the brand of discs.  I know this for a fact because before updating to Lion on this exact same machine I inserted and transferred about 20 discs, not only the same brand but from the same spindle.  I have zapped the PRAM, etc, etc.  There is something wrong with Lion and it is worse than a thorn in its paw.

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.