Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fontbook - a complete nightmare

Hi all !

So I switched to Lion when it came out during my holidays. Now I'm back to work and try to get things up and running. And Fontbook seem to be a MAJOR problem. I have about 4-500 fonts installed (mostly Adobe OTF) (referenced by fontbook, not all open), and when I launch Fontbook, it takes literally HOURS to get to the point when it will diplay the fonts. And I get the beach ball in the meanwhile...

I have tried quiet a few things to start with. On Snow Leopard, a run at Onyx would mostly clear the issue (i had this problem with Snow Leo, but to a lesser degree), trashed all fonts from the library folder, trashed Fontbook preferences, to no avail.

Can anyone help me on this one ? I'm supposed to be working on this machine, not troubleshoot...

Regards,

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:18 AM

7 replies

Aug 17, 2011 8:46 PM in response to Philippe Mingasson

I'm having the exact same issue and I have no idea what to do. I only have about 250 fonts installed. All but the system fonts are disabled and I only enable non-system fonts when working on projects. Another bug I've found is that I'm unable to drag fonts from the main list to a collection.

I need and use Fontbook everyday and would love any advice on what to do about this issue.

Aug 17, 2011 9:00 PM in response to Philippe Mingasson

Me too!!!

I have around 500 fonts (Apple & Microsoft) installed with all but 40 or so disabled

When I start Fontbook, it takes 2 minutes of spinning beachball to show font lists etc

If I select on a library or collection, another minute of spinning beachball

Absolute garbage performance! I have logged it with Apple twice (feedback pages) but no solution to date.

I have asked for and received a refund for Lion from Apple Australia - its worth asking the same where you are

good luck with this!

Oct 1, 2011 12:13 AM in response to jaystad

I actually deleted 90% of my fonts from my machine - left the ones in the System Library and kept the 4 or 5 that I use, and the rest went out the window.

Purged all font caches with Cocktail or Onyx, restarted and all is sweet. No problems with FontBook, no problems with MS Word taking 2 minutes to start up, etc

Useful web page at http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

If you don't *need* 500+ fonts (Apple, Microsoft and Adobe) nuke them and just keep the ones you actually use. Font management on Macs has been a disaster for many years and it doesn't appear to be getting better with so many variants/flavours of font types out there. Of course it doesn't help tha MS installs older versions of systm fonts etc but seriously - the sorts of font management hassles under 10.7 should have been resolved under System 9 - oh wait, they were ...

Fontbook - a complete nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.