Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Masking issues with Motion 5

Hi guys,

I had this general masking technique that I used with Motion 4 where I'd use any group of shapes, paintstrokes and so on, to mask some other object by dragging my group of "mask objects" into the image mask source well.

This technique no longer works as expected with Motion 5.

As an example, consider this project where I want to gradually reveal a circle.

Below are screen shots from both Motion 4 and Motion 5 of the same project, at frame 10:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

As you can see, Motion 4 gradually unveils the masked shape (a circle), but Motion 5 doesn't.

I could get around this particular case by adding a write on behaviour to the circle shape. BUt this does not work as a general masking technique in M5, which is a bit sad.

Anyone care to shed some light?

BR;

::e

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.8), FCP v7.0.3, runs Motion5 too.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:25 AM

11 replies

Aug 17, 2011 6:43 AM in response to Mark Spencer4

OK.

Thing is, I would interpret the exact same observation in the opposite way 🙂

I mean, the layers panel of M4 shows us how it works there, and the layers panel in M5 shows us how it works in M5. And they're different. At frame 10, there's half a circle vs. a full circle, even though the I/O points and behaviour durations are the exact same. It's the same project file.

Other than that, I don't know what to take away from your reply, although I appreciate it. Of course.

I don't know whether my use of groups of shapes as sources for img masks, is doing it the right way, since I didn't learn it anywhere. I'm just seeing something behaving differently in M4 vs. M5.

Would you do this in the exact same way as (you can hopefully see) in my screenshots?

I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing here 😟

BR;

Aug 17, 2011 9:13 AM in response to edvinpedvin

Looks like a bug in Motion 5. As soon as you turn off a shape layer, the write on behavior ceases to work. You could get away with it by setting the blending mode to stencil alpha, but that won't work in every situation. The other thing you could do, is place the layer that's the source of the mask at the very bottom of everything, so it's not shown, and leave the layer turned on. Then all should work sorta the same. Quirky.

Aug 17, 2011 1:29 PM in response to Chandosx

Hi Chand+Mark

Chandosx wrote:

You could get away with it by setting the blending mode to stencil alpha, but that won't work in every situation. The other thing you could do, is place the layer that's the source of the mask at the very bottom of everything, so it's not shown, and leave the layer turned on. Then all should work sorta the same. Quirky.

I'm not really familiar with what stencil alpha does, so I can't comment on that.

But the bottom layer option won't be any good if you want partially transparent output.

It *will* show unless you have some layer covering it up, which would be purely coincidential 🙂

UNLESS you use one very very special color for the mask source shape, and send the whole shebang through the keyer to get your alpha channel proper 😀

Chandosx wrote:

And one other way I just tested, that works for sure, is using keyframes on the source shape's "First Point Offset"(or last 🙂).

Hey, a self-made "write-on" for the mask source shape?

Well, it works in M4 - I'll confirm with M5 tomorrow.

Thanks for all your efforts to figure this out!

I still certainly consider this a bug and would expect this to be fixed.

How can I go ahead and report this a bug to Apple, are they monitoring this forum?

Cheers!

Masking issues with Motion 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.