14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 1:24 PM by Donald Fowler
Joe Gramm Level 5 (6,340 points)

After installing the 10.7.1 Update I found that the Library was invisible again. After running Terminal code  chflags nohidden ~/Library (via Kappy)  the Library is visible again. Is this happening to others after the update.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2, 21.5, Mac OS X (10.7), 12 GB Ram
  • thomas_r. Level 7 (30,727 points)

Yup, happened here too.  That's the problem with these sorts of changes...  they often get undone after an update.  Just make it visible again until the next time, with the understanding that you'll probably need to do that every time.

• Joe Gramm Level 5 (6,340 points)

Since I'm not good at code, can I challenge someone to come up with a Terminal code to make the ~/Library live through the next OS Update 

• leroydouglas Level 6 (17,777 points)

I had ~/Library in the Finder sidebar.  It is still there after 10.7.1

Good reason to move the Library to the Sidebar.

• etresoft Level 7 (27,808 points)

Maybe you should take the hint from Apple. Unless you really know what you are doing, mucking around in ~/Library is unlikely to be beneficial. For those times that it is required, Finder > Go > Go to Folder > "~/Library" works pretty well.

Thanks for the advice, I know it's well meant, but I've been mucking around in the Library since the days of having to delete corrupt extentions in OS 7 & 8 and haven't got into any trouble I haven't been able to repair myself.

Besides, how are you going to to get to level 7 if people aren't messing with the Library.

• leroydouglas Level 6 (17,777 points)

Joe Gramm wrote:

Besides, how are you going to to get to level 7 if people aren't messing with the Library.

LOL  !

• billearl Level 2 (175 points)

Here is a convenient AppleScript script to toggle user Library visibility:

tell application "System Events" to set visible of folder "~/Library" to not (visible of folder "~/Library")

• SteveKir Level 3 (545 points)

Could someone remind me what "~" in a file path means? (User, root?)

I have just upgraded to OS 10.7.1. There is a "Library" in the window that has as its parent "Macintosh HD", but no "Library" in Macintosh HD -- Users -- [my name]. I vaguely remember there being one there.

So, what does "~" mean; and

Should there be a "Library" in the second example above? and

If so, what are the implications of it being invisible?

Thanks.

~ means Username Folder. So ~/Library would be the Users Library Folder.   /Library is the System Library Folder,  which at this point is always visible. 

If Apples intent was to keep Users out of the ~/Library Folder so they couldn't reek havoc, why not the System Library also. Seems to me more damage could be done there.

etresoft,

I apologize for my reply to your response. I got defensive when it seemed you directed your comments to me, instead of a general statement.

• Colin Robinson Level 6 (8,315 points)

It's not very well hidden - just hold down the alt/option key on the Finder > Go menu

• SteveKir Level 3 (545 points)

Got it. Although I don't think I will want to fiddle with it, but its good to know that it hasn't disappeared.

• Donald Fowler Level 1 (105 points)

For me it is much easier to just Option-Click Go and you'll see and be able to click Library. Let go of the option key and it neatly hides again.