Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converted songs from Windows Media Player to itunes show up in the library but will not play

I just installed itunes for the purpose of converting my Windows Media Player library to itunes. I went through the install and added the music folder. itunes went through the conversion process overnight and all of my songs appear in the music library. However some songs will play properly and if you open them in windows explorer they are in a folder called my music/downloads and are mpeg files. Other songs that are listed in the music library and appear to have been converted will not play. When you click on these songs that won't play it appears to be playing in the progress bar on top, but no sound comes out and the EQ visualizer shows nothing. When you open these songs in Windows explorer they are located in a folder: my music\i tunes\itunes media\music and they are a .AAC audio file type. What went wromg in this conversion process? Why is itunes putting these files in two different locations? Why will these files not fully convert and play?

Windows XP

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 12:49 PM

3 replies

Aug 18, 2011 8:41 AM in response to John Lockwood

This is also what I suspected but why would the songs go through conversion, show up in the library, and then not play? Apple support even says "itunes for Windows cannot import or play WMA files that are protectd." Yet the imported song is sitting in the library and when you play it the song is listed and the diamond advances - but no sound.

Also, any tips on how to see if a WMA file is protected by DRM?

Thank you for your response.

Aug 22, 2011 2:08 AM in response to toddfromglendale

In WMP12 (Windows 7) you can tell by selecting the track in WMP, then right clicking and selecting "Properties" from the drop down menu. In the resulting window select the "Media Usage Rights" tab, it should then say something like

This file is not protected

meaning it is not protected, it will say it is protected. I don't have an older version of WMP to hand to see if it does it differently.

Converted songs from Windows Media Player to itunes show up in the library but will not play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.