Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 won't work right

When running 5.1 my forward/back buttons won't work until I open the customize toolbar box and then the back button will work but I cannot get the forward button to work. This is some of the weird things that are happening trying to use 5.1.

This is a mystery to me because I'm not using an old machine (iMac June 2010, purchased last September), I have additional RAM installed (8GB total), and SL 10.6.8. What I've done so far is to trash plist files, maintenance the system using IceClean, repair permissions, fix disks, reset Safari, and removed all extensions. I've reapplied 10.6.8 twice, reverted to 5.05, confirmed it working fine then upgrading again now but nothing works. I can't see going to Lion until I get this resolved...

Any ideas?

Thanx!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), i3 3.2Ghz, 8 GB

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 1:53 PM

Quit Safari. Open a Finder window select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. Then open the Library folder, then the Caches folder, then the com.apple.Safari folder. Move the cache.db file from the com.apple.Safari folder to the Trash. Relaunch Safari.

If that doesn't help, could be a third party Safari add on preventing your back / forward buttons from working.

Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

BTW.. using a third party utility to "clean" your Mac can cause more problems then they're worth.

Leave your Mac on over night (not in Sleep mode) once a month. It will run maintenance tasks for you.

Read here > Mac OS X: About background maintenance tasks

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2011 1:53 PM in response to William Howard2

Quit Safari. Open a Finder window select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. Then open the Library folder, then the Caches folder, then the com.apple.Safari folder. Move the cache.db file from the com.apple.Safari folder to the Trash. Relaunch Safari.

If that doesn't help, could be a third party Safari add on preventing your back / forward buttons from working.

Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

BTW.. using a third party utility to "clean" your Mac can cause more problems then they're worth.

Leave your Mac on over night (not in Sleep mode) once a month. It will run maintenance tasks for you.

Read here > Mac OS X: About background maintenance tasks

Aug 17, 2011 4:47 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Helpful, but doesn't cure, though through working this solution I'm realizing it's probably extensions that are causing the problem, though not one of them seems to be "the one", but combinations definelty have caused the issue...

Your solution, plus me finding ALL Safari files and getting rid of them was key, and at least I'm able to use 5.1 now, and when things go whacky I can delete the extensions and delete that cache file and that will bring it back to operability...

Extensions I've been working with:

1Password

AdBlock

Add-ons

SafariStand

XMarks

(BTW, IceClean just runs the built-in routines, plus permissions repair, cache cleaning and database optimizing. I've been using this for years and it's never done me wrong. I can use DiskWarrior when things go really bad but I haven't been there in years also...)

Thank you!

Safari 5.1 won't work right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.