Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why would Apple release an operating system that doesn't support powerpc applications, and not make it extremely clear and up-front with people first? This is the first time I've ever been disappointed with MAC in almost 20 years. Nice Job, Steve Jobs!

Now, half of my software applications on my MacBook Pro won't work after the LION upgrade. If you're thinking about upgrading...DON'T!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Don't upgrade to OS X 10 (LION)!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:19 PM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2011 5:28 PM in response to Deplexico

Steve Jobs would probably reply with, "Why haven't you updated your Mac?"

Ideally Apple would like their customers to update their hardware and software at any new release. But at the price point they set, it can be a bit hard.

But you also have to realize that the hardware you have is 6 if not more years old. Technology is always changing. Shouldn't cry about something you can't change.

Aug 18, 2011 5:44 AM in response to Deplexico

I haven't had any PowerPC apps for years now. However, I certainly understand that many people still do. The problem isn't that Rosetta was removed from Lion... it's that Apple never made mention of this. Granted, every site that made any review of Lion did indicate that it would not include Rosetta, but as Apple made Lion available via the App Store (and only the App Store until they offered a USB installer a month later), they were putting an OS upgrade out there for people to install the same way they would install Angry Birds. There are lots of people out there that have no idea that installing an OS is a major thing. They just heard about all the "cool things" in Lion... went to the App Store... and bought it. All Apple had to do was make it clear that PowerPC applications would not run under Lion (and explain what PowerPC apps are). They could easily have done a pre-upgrade scan to say "Hey... You have these PowerPC applications installed. They will not function under Lion". At least at that point, people could have made an informed decision as to whether or not they wanted to move up to Lion or stay with Snow Leopard... at least until they found alternatives for their PPC apps.

Why would Apple release an operating system that doesn't support powerpc applications, and not make it extremely clear and up-front with people first? This is the first time I've ever been disappointed with MAC in almost 20 years. Nice Job, Steve Jobs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.