Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! How can I convert a .mov to a mp4 file

I need to convert a .mov clip to a mp4 file. Quick time does not seem to have the option any more since I converted to that horrible Lion!! Any suggestions??

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 7:30 PM

9 replies

Aug 17, 2011 10:27 PM in response to frederickfrommilton

Hi

Isn't it so that You now got QuickTime X - and that you need QT 7 (still free download for QT-Player) then You've got the Pro-key to unlock it ? ?

.mov - is no codec/file format but a container as .avi etc.- open it with QT and see via Inspector what the real codec is.

- I read this discussion - may be one can do the opposite -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2781359

Now for argument sake I took the original.mp4 file, opened and edited down in a trial of Wondershare Video Converter. It saved the file , I imported that file into FCP and it plays fine. But the file extension is still.mp4 so I changed the file extension to .mov, imported that into .fcp and That plays fine as well a bit stumped here.

rd

Convert formats just some un-sorted notes - not specific to Your situation - but might help.

You may be able to convert the footage to DV, which is iMovie's native format.

From AVCHD cameras

try Voltaic

www.shedworx.com/voltaichd

From MPEG-4 cameras

try QT Pro.

From MPEG-2 cameras

www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on_a_Macintosh.html#edit_convert_MPEG

(MPEG-Streamclip + MPEG QT-component $20 (a must))

(Roxio Toast™ - can back-convert to streamingDV)

From MPEG-1 cameras

• Unsolved yet - see mpeg-2 (guess)

From .avi - is a container and there is no general approach

• You can use MPEG-Streamclip to convert some of the AVI files so that QuickTime can play them

and then to streamingDV for iMovie.

From .wmv

• iMovie is by concept meant to work with miniDV camcorders.. any other 'imports' need a conversion or are not supported... a quick solution would be purchasing a plug-in from www.flip4mac.com, 49$, which allows the conversion of .wmv (a PC format) into something useful for iM (dv-stream) ...

or, ask the emailer to send it in some other codec .. mpg4 for example .. which will be converted by iM 'out-of-the-box' ... and, to work with iM, the video should fulfill a few standards .. 720x480 pixel resolution, 30 frames per second ... otherwise, you will experience a dramatic loss of quality ..

From mpeg4 - a true codec

From .m4p

• Unsolved yet

From .mp4 - container ? if so no general approach

• Unsolved yet

From .m4v

• This I found in iMovie project folder - movies Large but not HD format

Imported into iDVD without any problems

From .mov

• Also found in iMovie project folder - probably HD projects

Imported into iDVD without any problems

Yours - trying - Bengt W

Aug 18, 2011 10:57 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Bengt Wärleby wrote:

... and why ?

Exactly - why?

I'm very, very rarely in need of any conversions: My cams are supported, using AppleTV makes tools obsolete, for PS3 I learned the above 'trick', I strictly use -apps as intended ...- ok, here&there I 'steal' DVD-content for private projects, other soccer-moms offer me 'odd' formats for our game-videos, etc.pp. - but MY list of tools and conversions is short. VERY short. Gives a very thin book.-

Just to mention: there are >4000 video-'formats' ... 😀

and 'swappers' like to combine them!

I've read thousands of post, esp. on my German board, where people with highly obscure formats try to convert in even more obscure formats ...- interesting, but not my cup of tea, and there are mucho better players on that track.

Bengt Wärleby wrote:

.... You are such a brick !

LOL - thanks, Bengt, again, for the flowers!!

k.

Help! How can I convert a .mov to a mp4 file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.