Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB share strangeness with OS X Lion

Since upgrading to OS X Lion I have some issues with SMB shares. I can connect to my macs share but when I create a new file or folder on the mac from within Windows Vista the file name seems to get corrupted temporarily. If I create a new folder for example the folder will appear with the name 'ew Folder' with some strange character on the end. Then if you try and interact with this folder, try to change it's name or navigate into the folder you can't. If you refresh your view of the share then you can see that the folder was actually named correctly as 'New Folder'.

I have just updated to 10.7.1 and I still get the problem so I thought I would see if anyone else is seeing it.

This makes using the share complicated as you have to keep refreshing every time you make a change. Is there anything that I can do to get around this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:30 AM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2011 3:26 PM in response to peteoshea

I've seen the exact same problem in 10.7.1. I'm thinking also that this might cause problems if you try to create a file within a program (Outlook 2010, in my case) on a Windows box and the file is going to be saved on the Mac's HD. (I'm using VMware Fusion.)

+1 for Apple fixing this issue ASAP -- those of us with mixed environments can't be having this sort of issue.

Oct 19, 2011 5:03 PM in response to xplovette

I'm experiencing a similar issue with smb shares on Lion. Windows clients can connect, but simple DOS commands do not work against the SMB share.

"Dir" works

"Dir *.bat" returns nothing, eventho there are batch files in the directory. Simply put wild card directory listing does not work.

You must specify the executable or batch file name with extension in order to run it. "ABC" doesn't work, but "ABC.exe" works. "EFG" doesn't work, but "EFG.BAT" works.

Anyone with info please advise...

Thanks,

-John

SMB share strangeness with OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.