Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade storage memory on MacBook Air?

Needing to upgrade the storage memory of my MacBook Air came with 125 GB i5 4GB.....

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 10:02 AM

You can't upgrade the 'storage' on an Air, the SSD is not replaceable, are you possibly talking about upgrading the RAM?, is this inquiry in response to a message that you got while using the Air?

11 replies

Aug 18, 2011 11:16 AM in response to Csound1

The SSD is VERY upgradeable on the 2010 and 2011 MBA's. It is the RAM, that you cannot replace/upgrade.

I disagree with the previous poster.

You can purchase the blade-type SSD drives by OWC, and it includes the pentalobe screwdriver needed to open the MBA case, too.

The only problem you may encounter is on the 2010 11.6 MBA. The thickness of the 128 GB Memory module is about as thick as you can go, and the larger (double sided) SSD's are physically a bit too bulky to comfortably install.

Here is the website page for the available product upgrades.

p.s.: It should be understood that retention of the OEM warranty is in a gray area with SSD upgrades on the 2010-2011 models. So you should take that into consideration before you take the step. Apple would much rather you buy a new notebook than extend its capacity.

Aug 18, 2011 11:17 AM in response to SP Forsythe

SP Forsythe wrote:

The SSD is VERY upgradeable on the 2010 and 2011 MBA's. It is the RAM, that you cannot replace/upgrade.

I disagree with the previous poster.

You can purchase the blade-type SSD drives by OWC, and it includes the pentalobe screwdriver needed to open the MBA case, too.

The only problem you may encounter is on the 2010 11.6 MBA. The thickness of the 128 GB Memory module is about as thick as you can go, and the larger SSD's are physically a bit too bulky to comforatbly install.

Here is the website of their sales outlet.

p.s.: It should be iunderstood that retention of the OEM warranty is in a gray area with SSD upgrades on the 2010-2011 models. So you should take that into consideration before you take the step. Apple would much rather you buy a new notebook than extend its capacity.

FYI

This will result in an 'end of warranty' situation, please bear that in mind.

Aug 18, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Csound1

I mentioned the state of the warranty in my post (in the postscript).

However, I would like to be more clear on the issue. I really would, for my peace of mind.

Can you cite anything that Apple has released on the matter?

We "assume" that because Apple used pentalobe screws on the case bottom, that Apple is trying to tell us that no user serviceable parts are inside. However, I do think that assumption would also then preclude too much.

When I do a search on warranty stipulations on the support site, all I can't find anything relevant that prohibits the replacement of the storage drive. Quite the reverse, I can find some documents stating the opposite (speaking in general terms though).

I suppose it depends on how we define "user installable". That is the line that Apple draws, when it comes to permissible modifications (RAM, Cards, Parts).

Does Apple define the term?

Aug 18, 2011 11:50 AM in response to SP Forsythe

I enquired on behalf of a client, was told (over the phone) that I would invalidate the warranty by changing the ssd, so he bought a new MBP with a bigger drive, so nothing in writing to offer I am afraid.

I asked about Ram purely to narrow down the issue, if in response to a prompt from the MBA I wanted to know the exact wording, posters here often confuse storage with ram.

Aug 18, 2011 1:03 PM in response to SP Forsythe

The warranty that came with my MBA 2011 states (parsing by me) - This warranty does not apply: ...(g) to a product ... that has been modified to alter functionality or capability .... As Bill Clinton might have said, " I guess it depends on your definition of 'capability'."

Personaly, once beyond the out-of-the-box infant mortality phase, I am not very concrned about the warranty.

TOS precludes further comment on the warranty restrictions 😀.

Aug 25, 2011 10:02 AM in response to anniefromcuster

Paraphrase the entire comment from the website and it really says:

One-Year Limited Warranty for MacBook Air excludes coverage for damage resulting from a number of events, including accident, liquid spill or submersion, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications.

So you only void the warranty if the failure was the result of the new SSD.

Aug 25, 2011 10:45 AM in response to EricInMaryland

From this document clarifying the unauthorized modifications exclusion.

"Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs."

The bottom line? Upgrades, are not modifications.

Nov 7, 2011 4:48 AM in response to Ruelle

my colleague requested apple manufactory to upgrade memeory on macbook air "15 Inch" when he ordered the computer. I have the same computer, from the outside it looks the same but from the inside his is slightly faster. his computer has i7 while my has i5 and he also upgraded the RAM. As far as i know RAM or/and SSD is attached to the motherboard and some people say that it is possible to upgrade the memory and some say that it is not. i would like to know for sure if it is possible or not, and if it is possible then how can i do it and what consequences will it have?

Nov 7, 2011 8:49 AM in response to I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND wrote:

my colleague requested apple manufactory to upgrade memeory on macbook air "15 Inch" when he ordered the computer. I have the same computer, from the outside it looks the same but from the inside his is slightly faster. his computer has i7 while my has i5 and he also upgraded the RAM. As far as i know RAM or/and SSD is attached to the motherboard and some people say that it is possible to upgrade the memory and some say that it is not. i would like to know for sure if it is possible or not, and if it is possible then how can i do it and what consequences will it have?

The confusion may be coming from the interpretation of the term "memory". Some people use it to mean the space on the computer where the operating system, programs and data are stored, rather than the volatile space in which applications are actually being accessed by the CPU.

The volatile memory on a MacBook Air is either 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB and is unchangeable and not upgradeable, once the logic board is built. The current MBA's have either 2 GB or 4 GB and cannot be changed once built onto the logic board, as they are soldered directly, having no "slots" into which one might otherwise change out to a larger size.

Coversely, the main storage device (Hard Drive or SSD) used on the MBA's are connected via a disconnectable electrical connector. The current MBA's use only Solid State Drives mounted on circuit cards and connected to the logic board via a proprietary "slot" or connector. Physically, the SSD can be removed, replaced, or upgraded. However, doing such during the warranty period is viewed by some as being counter to Apple's policies on user upgrades.

How to upgrade storage memory on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.