Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Move Icons Around On My Desktop

My iMac is too heavy to lug to my neighborhood Apple Store. Perhaps someone can tell me how to fix this. Simple. Any folder, photo, document I place on my desktop can't be moved around. Instead when I try to move it, it bounces back into place. I can guide into the trash if I click and drag it, but otherwise, all icons bounce back into place. If anyone can help, much appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:41 PM

Click on the Desktop, press COMMAND-J to open the view dialog. Set the Sort by: dropdown menu to None.

8 replies

Jul 25, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Peter Reznikoff

I had the same problem and relaunching Finder did not work, nor did deleting 4 Preference Files (as one response suggested). What did work was going to my System Preferences/Trackpad and unchecking all the boxes except Secondary Click, Tap to Click, and Scroll direction: natural. My plan is to re-introduce the others one last a time to see if the drag and drop stops working again.

Can't Move Icons Around On My Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.