Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell 3130cn Printer not working with OS Lion software

Since I upgraded my system software to the Lion software, my Dell 3130cn color laser printer won't print. I had tried using the Generic print driver and that worked for about a week. Now that own't work anymore.

Anyone have any ideas or help?

Thanks!

Kevin

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Dell 3130cn Color Laser Printer

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM

12 replies

Nov 23, 2011 3:45 PM in response to lilmac987

Hello lilmac987,

Actually, yes! After sending Dell a daily onslaught of emails to their online support for almost a month and a half straight, they did finally create a driver update for my printer and it worked!

Small bit of advice and footnote on the email onslaught. Some days I sent multiple emails to their feedback after searching for my driver to each of their different departments of support. (In hopes someONE would read my cry for help and get me a driver update.) You know the old routine, the squeaky wheel gets fixed. 🙂

Good Luck on getting an updated driver by Christmas! Though you may be better being a good little child and ask Santa for a new printer. (One other than one of Dell's! I know my next one will NOT be a Dell printer.)

Jan 1, 2012 5:18 AM in response to T4Tom

Hi T4Tom,

On Dell's website. I shorten the process some for you, go to this location....

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

You will see listed on this page...

Refine your results (3 files)

Printers (2)

Systems Management (1)

Click the down arrow button (V in a circle) in front of the "Printer (2)", the printer's drivers will appear, click on the "Download File" button to the Dell Driver listed with the Dell3130cn_Installer.dmg (4MB) with the release date of 9/8/2011, A01, A01 SW - Drv (Mac).

This is the driver that fixed my issue.

Best wishes on your New Year starting off right!

Feb 6, 2012 8:15 AM in response to kevinfrominPA

Thanks a lot Kevin. Your post is the ONLY one I could find (in Dell, Apple, or other forums) that actually affirms a 3130cn Driver update that works with Lion.

I've followed all info on Dell's site and no one has any definitive info. Dell's support replied saying "try the generic" driver....you think people hadn't tried that?!!! Do they not see the numerous people with issues not having the driver work with Lion?! SO frustrating. This is in fact a true conversation: I called Dell support directly and spoke with the "apple" advisor at Dell (read suppose to build a bridge of Dell and Apple products but CLEARLY not a real commitment from Dell) who actually told me they may not bother with another driver update b/c Dell is so frustrated with Apple's constant changes.....it's called INNOVATION Dell! Perhaps that's why Dell almost went bankrupt - keeping their head in the sand trying to ride on their past success?!

I'm relieved I can finally update to Lion. I have to admit I love my 3130cn printer - it works well and the consumables cost is VERY low compared to the options, and has worked like a top with my Apple stuff - until now. Knowing I almost got left in the cold after an expensive investment in a color laser, I certainly will never buy another Dell, unless they get their commitment to Apple CLEAR.

Feb 7, 2012 3:23 AM in response to Spiceman45

Not a problem Spiceman45.

Anytime I can help out a fellow Mac user, it is well worth it!

I can fully feel your frustration with Dell. I pounded them daily with emails till I finally got that updated driver to be released. I agree with you too that their 3130cn printer is a really good printer, but this instance of having to fight to get a driver, definitely has left a bad taste in my mouth to ever buy another Dell printer, or product.

Funny how Dell doesn't want to deal with Apple because of.. "frustration with with Apple's constant changes." And Microsoft's and Firefox's almost daily updates and security fixes is "less" changes than Apple's???? What??? Huh???

They should be GLAD to have Apple, who they only have to deal with a security or system update once a year or once every two years.

Sounds like Microsoft is paying Dell off NOT to play fair with Apple. That's fine, Lexmark, HP, and Xerox makes color laser printers for Apple too, us Apple users CAN take our business to anyone them and let Dell go the way of Gateway and Amiga Commodore computers.....extinct.

Feb 12, 2012 6:40 PM in response to kevinfrominPA

I couldn't get the link above to work, but I eventually found the one below. It was NOT easy. I ended up looking at a list of Dell's printer driver updates and sorted them chronogical order. I found this one posted in Sept. 2011. It is not shown when you just search for a Mac driver for the 3130cn!

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=u s&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&DriverId=R313359

Feb 15, 2012 12:42 PM in response to kevinfrominPA

Thank you kevinfrominPA -from me as well!

You saved me 7 hours of Dell's infamous business-class 3rd world nation tech support. I awe you one! 😀

Not sure how such a great business printer comes with such lousy installation software, documentation and support. The time I've wasted just getting it to work on WiFi with the Windows' machine had actually cost me more than the printer itself + its extended warranty. Ridiculous. A $39 Lexmark is easier to deal with.

That sais, I must admit that I have owned it for a couple of years now and once it is set up it is a dreamy, high quality heavy duty workhorse that is super stable and can run very complex jobs and custom settings on an ample variety of media materials.

"Just don't touch those settings!" 😉

Dell 3130cn Printer not working with OS Lion software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.