Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 - No Audio/Output Devices!!

I've had countless computer problems lately, but have traced the roots of these problems to the audio files.

My mac detects no output devices, and I have attempted all *simple* suggested solutions to fix that. I still get a startup sound. I do get sound through my USB headset, and have found that Skype DOES NOT work unless this headset is plugged in. Skype will crash when the headset is not plugged in.

I also have an unusually slow boot-up time, and after running it in verbose mode, have found that it gets stuck on some AppleHDA.kext files, as well as some com.AppleAudio~~~ files. The names disappear before I can write down the specifics.

Is there a way to find a solid set of completely new audio files and install those? What should be present as far as Audio kext files and com.appleaudiowhatever files? Anyone have any advice? A clean reinstall of OS X did nothing.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 4:04 PM

2 replies

Aug 18, 2011 6:53 PM in response to X423424X

From what I've read, an OS installation will not usually fix these problems. I'm not super Mac savvy, so I wouldn't know why that is, but I know that an alteration of some files HAS been helpful for some people. I just don't know enough to know what in specific to do. I have found that some of my audio related kext files haven't been in the right place etc. (AFTER the reinstall), and given that information, maybe those aren't replaced during a reinstallation and that's why.

Anyway, I've done an SMC reset, PRAM reset, NVRAM reset, checked sound preferences, checked the Audio Midi Setup, plugged headphones in and out several times, opened Garageband, checked the System Profiler in which built-in audio input&output were listed, started from safe mode, used a root account, opened (booted from the OS X CD) Utility Disk and did all possible repairs, and followed all of the instructions listed here. I found, however, as many people suggested:

"I deleted the Audio dir and created a new one as root in the terminal. Can do it like this:

sudo mkdir /Library/Preferences/Audio

then set permissions, er owner:

sudo chown -R _coreaudiod:admin /Library/Preferences/Audio

Then change the input in the sound pref pane using an admin account. Should create the file."

I found that the "chown" command was always an illegal option.

Basically, I've determined that this isn't a logic board problem because the startup sound operates normally, and the System Profiler lists the audio devices. I just need the computer to recognize/utilize/whatever the internal speakers&mic.

I go to college in a few days and am desperate to solve this.

10.6.8 - No Audio/Output Devices!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.