Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 photshop files shown as "in use by another application" - can't delete or open

I have 2 files, one a psd and a pdf generated from the psd. They are fairly large files (44 MB). I tried to move them to another folder and I got a message that says and/or "File in use by Mac OSX with the warning that the action could damage the functioning of said app. I tried to open the files via Photoshop, and got in one case a message saying end of file reached unexpectedly and on the other "damaged file" When I tried to delete, the message "file in use by another application". Permissions were somehow noted as custom, changed to read and write.

Don't know exactly when last opened files, about 1 month ago. Just updated recently. I can let the files go as I have iPhoto originals and can recreate finished image, just want to dump them or use them.

Please help!

Thanks

PS: Running Leopard on a Macbook Pro intel 17" 2009(?)

Work: MackBook Pro intel 17", Quicksilver 733 MHz 10.4.11,, Mac OS X (10.5.6), MacBook Pro 15" intel 10.4.11, iMac G3, iPod nano, Canon S60

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 5:38 PM

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions...

Now try trashing the files while in Safe Mode...

reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2011 5:38 PM in response to annexit

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions...

Now try trashing the files while in Safe Mode...

reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Aug 19, 2011 4:45 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for replying - well things seem to be getting worse:

I screenshot the get info and error messages and was going to change the tiff to a png and Photoshop crashed on opening OR got an errr message. I went to Illustrator. Same deal. SOMETHING has happened here. I ditched the plists, to no avail.

Anyway the

get info:

Adobe pdf

52 MB

the home folder in which this doc resides has read and write privileges (was described as "custom" but I changed it to read and write)

The psd file I was able to trash. OOOPs InDesing, sitting idle, just crashed. I've just listed the last bunch of updates in case there is anything there - fortunately I was able to convert this to a png before PS went out.

User uploaded file

Right now I am down 2 computers and the ADobe apps are crucial. Maybe I need a new thread, but maybe it is all connected?

Aug 19, 2011 7:20 PM in response to BDAqua

THANKS, BDAqua, that did the trick - the lsof | grep [file] in the terminal command line revealed that the finder was holding onto the file - I had relaunched finder previously (though not sure if the file was in the trash) but this time it worked. The file is gone. Did using terminal - lsof command release the file on relaunch?

Will post new question about the adobe apps - all three failed again, tried a new user, the apps worked fine. this is weird territory!

Aug 20, 2011 7:31 AM in response to BDAqua

still not used to the "new" support pages, guess I am getting "old" - I often find help from you BDAqua when you answer other people's questions that relate to my concerns - long ago, I believe, other readers could weigh in and then the person got additional points -

anyway thanks for all the time you spend helping the rest of us keep on going

Annexit

2 photshop files shown as "in use by another application" - can't delete or open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.