Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix Streaming is not working on Safari or Firefox. I have Lion and all software is up-to-date. Called Netflix, they tell me it's an Apple problem. Help?

Netflix Streaming is not working on Safari or Firefox. I have Lion and all software is up-to-date. Called Netflix, they tell me it's an Apple problem. Help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 6:51 PM

9 replies

Sep 5, 2011 9:52 AM in response to handelguy

Having same problem.

Netflix first said was a Silverlight Problem.

Have uninstalled as per Microsoft Tech support and reinstalled and Silverlight works fine on other sites.

Called Netflix back and claimed that was a conflict with "audio drivers" and they needed to be reinstalled, but could not tell me how to do that.

Still without Netflix on Mac Pro Desktop.

Works fine on Laptop.

Mar 28, 2012 10:55 AM in response to handelguy

I have finally "solved" an annoying problem. When I watch Netflix, I get very frequent buffering time outs or disconnects. I have tried everything from rebooting the ATV, Airport etreme, Comcast modem..........etc. Sometimes it has temporarily fixed the problem. By temporarily I mean for a few min utes. While looking for solution, I have phisically moved the ATV away from the Sharp TV, Tivo Box, Panasonic DVD and ..............BINGO it worked. The fix was a sort of blind leading blind concept, but I have reproduced the condition over and over again and proved that when the ATV is close to other components there is some sort of EMI (Electro magnetic interference)present. That caused the Netflix streaming problems.

So now I have a solution, but I have to look at two ugly wires connected to my ATV (AC and HDMI), which is about 6 feet away from my other components. Hope this helps.

May 2, 2014 12:26 AM in response to handelguy

Sorry this is so late a response, but I just encountered this Silverlight/ Netflix/ Firefox / Mac issue yesterday.

MacBook Pro / Mozilla Firefox / Netflix / Silverlight Update solved - DON'T DWNLOAD FROM NETFLIX

I solved this problem tonight. I have a MacBook Pro with OX 10.5.8. I know, it's old. But I love my Netflix and I recently noticed that Firefox plays Netflix much better. Then I suddenly got this message that I needed to download the latest Silverlight - it only takes 30 seconds! - WRONG. However, after much searching, I finally did the steps in order and it worked.

This was after repeatedly downloading Silverlight from the Netflix site without success. So here's what I did:

1. Went to http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

2. Followed the directions. I felt like such an idiot for not doing it right before.

3. Go to your hard drive and search for "Silverlight" to locate ANY existing Silverlight files: .dmg, etc.

[also check your Libary/ Internet Plug-ins, but the above search is faster]

4. Drag it all to the trash and empty it.

5. Go back to the Get Silverlight page and click on the Install on that page, not the Netflix site.

6. Note the steps for Safari or Mozilla Firefox - I wanted Firefox, so I follwed those instructions.

7. Once it's installed, close all the browsers and Restart that bad boy. Right away.

8. Open a browser, go to Netflix and proceed to joyfully rot your brain with Netflix content. Yay!

Jul 2, 2015 7:04 AM in response to D0GG

I have a mid 2007 iMac with only 1GB running Snow Leopard and could not run Netflix,on Safari or Firefox but a suggestion on a forum to try Google Chrome worked perfectly. I don't want to upgrade my OS and realized all more RAM would do is keep muliple programs open without a Safari freeze.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.