Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error adding computer to workgroup manager

I have a situation where one computer on my LAN cannot be assigned a name because "The name you have chosen conflicts with a name assigned to another computer". My computers are named by location and I would have had a computer previously assigned the name in question, however not any more. If I do a search within Workgroup manager it does not bring up a record for it. I imported this data from an old Tiger server originally so am guessing that is where the problem originated. Does anybody have a fix for this? If it involves using pico please supply the full string as that is not my strong suit.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:50 PM

This was fixed by upgrade to Lion Server. This missing record was visible and editable.

1 reply

error adding computer to workgroup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.